Author Topic: Wet Sumping-quick thread.  (Read 795 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Wet Sumping-quick thread.
« on: 24.04. 2013 16:24 »
Just started the old A10 after 5 weeks, forgot to drain the sump first, grey plumes of smoke everywhere. Is grey the right colour ? Don't worry new oil pump soon.

Colin

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Wet Sumping-quick thread.
« Reply #1 on: 24.04. 2013 16:43 »
Grey sounds good, my Flash always smokes grey smoke on one side for a minute then clears (mostly but not always the drive side), think it might be guides, it's been on the to do list for quite some time.

As long as it clears at some point it's not going to do much harm if any,in fact in days of yore it was an advised procedure to lift off the throttle when going down hill to "suck" some oil up into the cylinders *roll*
Yes well
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 24.04. 2013 16:48 »
Thanks Bill
It's never done it before, then again I always drain the SRM new sumpy thing I bought.

Colin

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 24.04. 2013 21:14 »
 Yep, grey/blue = oil, black = fuel.
Would left (drive) side smoke on start up be contributed by the little hole in the rod squirting on the cylinder wall? Once warm the rings take care of it.
Starting with a sump full will show up any leaks. ;)
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 24.04. 2013 21:45 »
Would left (drive) side smoke on start up be contributed by the little hole in the rod squirting on the cylinder wall? Once warm the rings take care of it.

Never thought of that one muskrat, it's creditable tho, also re-enforces the theory behind the hole as I understand it.

Neither of my bikes wet sump since rebuilds despite my throwing the pumps together without indexing any gears resulting in they were stiff to turn (or perhaps because of it) *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco