Author Topic: Ripped thread - cylinder stud  (Read 2271 times)

Offline madsens

• A's Good Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
Re: Ripped thread - cylinder stud
« Reply #15 on: 03.05. 2013 14:43 »
Thanks Muskrat

I'm in the clear on that one then, so I will get cylinder, pistons and top checked/fixed - if I get the cam followers refurbished, will I have to do the cam as well? I would love to be on the road again in a not to distant future... I'm one of the few with only 1 bike -- and the riding season in DK is not that long (Wish I were back in Warren NSW) *smile*

regards
Joergen
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #16 on: 03.05. 2013 15:52 »
Depends on how worn the cam is. You could throw new (recond) followers in but watch your tappet clearances, they will open up quicker than normal. Maybe a job for next winter.
 "(Wish I were back in Warren NSW) smile" The land of square tyres. At least where you are now you use all the tread.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline madsens

• A's Good Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
« Reply #17 on: 17.05. 2013 23:24 »
Finally back ashore from my sea job - and out to the shed.

I now got the pistons off, and found one smal end bush totally loose, could turn freely and be pushed out with a finger - the other gudgeon pin bush was not loose, but had turned so the oil holes were no longer lined up.  *sad2*
Could this be the reason for things to go wrong (broken ring) ?

Can new bushes be pressed in without dismantling the bottom part? or will I have to go all the way?
Is this a straightforward job, or will I need some outside help, as I guess the conrods needs to be heated and then the bush pressed in and reamed to the gudgeon pin size -
I'm a bookkeeper/paperpusher by trade  *red*, so not very technically minded.... or equipped

regards
Joergen
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #18 on: 17.05. 2013 23:36 »
 A job best given to someone with a tad more experience Joergen.
Could be done in the bike BUT.
You will need oversize bushes made, pressed in and reamed to size. The best way to do this is with rods out for accuracy and in line with the big ends.
Yes it wouldn't help with the ring problem, but could have been much, much worse.
Cheers
Looking back through the topic I'd say it's time for a rebuild anyway.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7