Author Topic: A10 is a pleasure to ride  (Read 1146 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
A10 is a pleasure to ride
« on: 28.04. 2013 11:08 »
I haven't ridden a motorbike since I was 26; I'm now 63. While working on my resto I gradually realised that I didn't have the same confidence as when I was younger. My first ride on the old girl reassured me: the A10 is a lovely bike to ride; it just makes you feel that she'll look after you. Of course I hadn't forgotten to treat every other road user as an idiot!
Never mind sexy biker clothing; I wear a high-vis jacket and have my headlight on when I go out.

Spitfiremk9

Re: A10 is a pleasure to ride
« Reply #1 on: 28.04. 2013 15:27 »
Neil, exactly the same scenario for me ,i'm 63 now but did get back on my BSA in 2003 ,found mine just the same ,inspired confidence was soon grinding footrests all went well until oct 2 yrs ago had a low speed off due to council gritting a road but mostly my being competently incompetant  ie stupid ,didn't ride for another 2 yrs  due to a house move (short  ride to get bike there was all which was good butnot long enough ) and family problems ,first ride since was 7th of april this year  to the big breakfast prees heath near whitchurch, 63 miles each way , just as you said within 6 miles the same feeling of security came back the ride of which I'll post more later was great bike didn't miss a beat nice weather and a good turn out, the only downside were the rice rocket pilots they got nearer to me ,on the wrong side of the road than car drivers! Anyway enjoy many more rides Neil best wishes BobH 

Offline Sparky

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 29.04. 2013 14:28 »
Likewise for me.  My bike went into storage in 1978 when I moved back east for school.  I didn't ride again, other than an afternoon trip on a friends Harley Sportster a few years back.  That bike felt heavy and unwieldy, and I did not feel at all confident.  I assumed that with the passage of all those years, I had lost my skills.  I finished restoring my Road Rocket last fall, and the minute I pulled out of the driveway, that old familiar feeling of effortlessly leaning into a curve came right back.  I may not be as quick and agile as I once was, but the bike is!

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 01.05. 2013 01:46 »
I had not ridden for 20 years until about 3 years ago. I never even had a crash helmet so borrowed a full face one from a friend. I used it for about a month and still totally lacked any confidence.

I bought myself an open face crash helmet and suddenly I was grounding footrests and my confidence came flooding back. How weird is that  *smile*

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #4 on: 07.05. 2013 14:27 »
Funny thing that crash helmet situation. I always use an open face helmet on by brit bikes but always use a full face on the Z1. Don't feel right any other way..
Regards

Andy

1960 A10 - Black Golden Flash
Plus
1974 Kawasaki Z1a
Yam XJR 1300

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #5 on: 08.05. 2013 00:28 »
Open face for me too...   just remember to turn your face away from the road surface if you have a off..     ask me how I know ?????
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 08.05. 2013 04:40 »
I know by the same way, back in '79. That's why I've gone closed face in my current incarnation.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 08.05. 2013 12:18 »
I feel much much safer on a big fast bike. Any issues arising at all and I can just ride away from them. With smaller bikes you just can't get yourself clear when drivers are fooling about around you.

My fave helmet is a Davida pudding basin (legally no more than a novelty hat of course). Beautifully light and good vibility. Above certain speeds and in poor weatehr it works best with a screen though - and I've yet to crash test it. Works on my A10, V50 and Sportster just fine. On the ZRX1200 I'm in a Shoei full face.   
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #8 on: 08.05. 2013 12:58 »
To keep this on topic [*smiley4*]  I will say that I'm "only" 53 and came back to bikes about 15 years ago after the usual family thing. I think I was young enough not to have lost any confidence in my abilities.
I have a Bell Jet which is nice and quiet and the helmet I use on the Z1 is a modern plain black Shark full face. I was amazed at the areo efficiency of the Shark, I can sit upright on the Zed at 90+ easily without any neck strain at all. Try that with the open face and it feels like you are in a head lock. I suppose that my "normal" speeds on the Brit bikes is only around 60mph so it's not really a problem.
Regards

Andy

1960 A10 - Black Golden Flash
Plus
1974 Kawasaki Z1a
Yam XJR 1300

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 08.05. 2013 13:06 »
I will say that I'm "only" 53...