Author Topic: Seat Pan Comparisons  (Read 2321 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Seat Pan Comparisons
« on: 03.05. 2013 15:26 »
Gents:

The attached photo shows two different seat pans for sale on Ebay (apologies and good luck if I am bidding against you). The one on the left is described as: "BSA A10 A7 B31 B33 SEAT SUPER ROCKET ROAD STAR FLASH GOLD". The one on the right is described as: " NICE ORIGINAL BRITISH MOTORCYCLE BSA GOLD STAR SEAT".

One of the auctions ends this afternoon in the U.S. I probably should have asked sooner in order to give time for opinions, but if you drop a quick reply, that will be appreciated.  I know for a certainty that the one on the left fits an early swingarm because there is a picture in one of Bacons books showing it from the bottom. The questions are: Were Gold Star and A10 (with full deep rear fender) seats the same?  Is the one on the right truly original?
Thanks, in advance.

Richard L.

(Edit: Throwing in an upholstery shot of seat on right.)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Seat Pan Comparisons
« Reply #1 on: 03.05. 2013 16:17 »
I've got a seat like that, a repro from India that will need some modification to fit either of my A' (59,61)
Both are for early bikes but just how early I'm not sure, before Super Rocket though, the oblong fixture at both sides near the front are to hold rubber blocks.
sorry I can't be more specific re dates
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 03.05. 2013 16:24 »
Bill:

You're saying the one on the right is a repro from India, correct? Other Indian repros I've seen did not seem to have the ribs formed (or, well formed). Does your seat have the same rib pattern?

Thanks for your help.

Richard L.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 03.05. 2013 17:30 »
I have an old swinging arm seat pan, not beyond restoration. If you lose the bid I will PM you the photos.

Regards Colin UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 03.05. 2013 21:25 »
INSANE! The seat on the right, that I thought I would get for about $150, is now at $430!

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 03.05. 2013 21:46 »
Hi Richard,
People lose the run of themselves on fleabay ???? ???? ????
For the best quality replacement seat available  go to these people
http://www.rk-leighton.co.uk/
I have had one on the SR for 12 years and its perfect,
Remember theree should be support rubbers fitted midways
Basically there were two different seat shapes for the swing arm frame, they changed I believe around 1959
the earlier seat is narrower like the goldie, later wider and more comfy!! (my opinion)

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 03.05. 2013 22:43 »
John,

I have the later, wider seat (in all respects, if you define "later" as later in life). It's original and I like the ride, but I do like the look of the earlier seat and can't imagine it's that much more uncomfortable. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Richard L.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.05. 2013 00:01 »
Richard,
               They are probably both genuine.
I think that the first swinging arm seats had the angle pieces and later were replaced by pressings.
Trev.
P.S.
You are right in saying the price paid was insane.
The sane way to go is as John suggests, Leightons.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.05. 2013 00:05 »
Ahh. Thank for that, Trev. Someone obviously thinks it's original and irreplaceable and can't do without, because it went for $557 with mostly nice upholstery, but with the nose looking like shown in the picture. The stitching looks like it could be historic.

Richard L.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 04.05. 2013 00:06 »
More money than sense!

Trev.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #10 on: 04.05. 2013 09:33 »
Lazyness is never cheap
evil bay is the Amazon.com of motorcycle parts.
I see a lot of stuff in bad condition go for more than NOS original in perfect nick is retail.
Bike Beesa
trevor
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #11 on: 04.05. 2013 23:34 »
Ahh. Thank for that, Trev. Someone obviously thinks it's original and irreplaceable and can't do without, because it went for $557 with mostly nice upholstery, but with the nose looking like shown in the picture. The stitching looks like it could be historic.

Richard L.

theres a fine line between being historical and hysterical  ;)
in this case I suspect the later for that pricing.
I've got an early seat spare, yes the narrow kind and also on my 60 the later wide type that need the rubbers attached to the frame to support. Both are loose so if you want pics can easily do.
I got a new foam and cover from Leightons, excellent service.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 05.05. 2013 08:21 »
Hi Richard
Sorry for the delay in answering you, seems it don't matter anyway but
I was meaning the seat on the left, Identical to one I purchased from India hotly followed by another the same but with a ripped cover, both had been recovered and refoamed I think
Paid £40 UK, came in via Carlisle airport and very quick.

I've had a virus attack ( PC ), got it from an email that I opened in error BSA site as well,(fingers on a roll-damn), lost a good bit of stuff but quite a lot was backed up.
Makes you appreciate the efforts e puts in to keep this forum clean  *yeah* *yeah* *yeah*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Yarp

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 21.09. 2013 19:29 »
Gents:Hi there,just seen this thread,I actually bought the seat on the left in your photos,sorry if I outbid someone here,but I am happy to report it is a perfect fit to my 58' super rocket,it actually cleaned up like a new seat.Did not know there were two types when I bid as only had the bike a couple of weeks then. It looks so much better on the bike than the replica one that was there,much slimmer and sleek (and maybe not as ass friendly!) than the fat old replica part.
Martin

The attached photo shows two different seat pans for sale on Ebay (apologies and good luck if I am bidding against you). The one on the left is described as: "BSA A10 A7 B31 B33 SEAT SUPER ROCKET ROAD STAR FLASH GOLD". The one on the right is described as: " NICE ORIGINAL BRITISH MOTORCYCLE BSA GOLD STAR SEAT".

One of the auctions ends this afternoon in the U.S. I probably should have asked sooner in order to give time for opinions, but if you drop a quick reply, that will be appreciated.  I know for a certainty that the one on the left fits an early swingarm because there is a picture in one of Bacons books showing it from the bottom. The questions are: Were Gold Star and A10 (with full deep rear fender) seats the same?  Is the one on the right truly original?
Thanks, in advance.

Richard L.

(Edit: Throwing in an upholstery shot of seat on right.)