Author Topic: Tappets  (Read 2743 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Tappets
« on: 12.05. 2013 14:21 »
As a matter of interest did BSA ever make a dedicated A10 tappet adjusting spanner? I ask this because I don't ever recall hearing about one, or ever seeing one. And, what is the correct size spanner to fit properly on the tappet adjuster squares? I always use BA spanner that is a near fit and does the job (sort of) but this is not a very satisfactory solution. What do you guys use?

John

Offline Briz

• A's Good Friend
  • West Norfolk UK
    • Custom cycle developments
Re: Tappets
« Reply #1 on: 12.05. 2013 15:08 »
I always used a mini brake adjusting spanner. A ring spanner with a square hole. Used to be available in a few sizes, probably still are.

*Edit* something made me question the above. Went & checked my rockers; square head is about 5.5mm. So if I did use a 1/4" adjuster, it would have been well baggy. Strange.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.05. 2013 15:21 »
I had thought one of the spanners that came with the bikes was designed for this although never have tried it (was it one of the multi use type, had a square cut out on it ?)

If I find one ( I have a few BSA spanners ) I'll photo it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 12.05. 2013 15:56 »
Briz, I have one of those brake adjusting spanners 1/4" a square hole at one end and open ended 5/16" cut out at the other end. That spanner is a legacey from my Mini restoration days. It is a genuine BLMC service tool (Sykes-Pickavant part number 660120). Bill, I also have the BSA spanner that you refer to. At a first glance it looks as though it is indeed a tappet spanner, but the square cut out is far to big. It is about the same size as the square on the Mini brake adjusting spanner. There are a lot of those spanners about but I have never found anything on an A10 that they actually fit, I think that they are more likely to be cycle spanners. Thanks for your input chaps.

John

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 12.05. 2013 16:33 »
hi why not try the srm kit you get allan key grub screws and nuts much easyer to ajust http://www.srmclassicbikes.com/catalogue/index.php?target=products&product_id=116

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #5 on: 13.05. 2013 07:57 »
I dont know if it's the right spanner BUT the Left hand side of this one is 7/16" & fits the tappet nut perfectly & you can even get a screwdriver in for the adjustment.. 
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #6 on: 13.05. 2013 08:25 »
In the parts book this spanner is listed as "Carburetter and tappet adjusting spanner", part no. 65-9246.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 13.05. 2013 09:17 »
I dont know if it's the right spanner

That's the one I had in mind  WozzA
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 13.05. 2013 10:23 »
 What sort of tappets have you got Woz. Haven't seen one with a screwdriver slot. It's a 1/4 Whit nut, a 7/16" AF will work, sort of. *work*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #9 on: 13.05. 2013 11:32 »
Yeah Musky it may be a 1/4"Whitworth???  I measured it with a AF ruler..    ;)  *doh*
I found this one would just clear the downtubes ..
Mine had a screwdriver slot in the tops 4 adjustment & the locking nut..
& I'm not removing that bloody rockercover 4 a pic... 
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #10 on: 13.05. 2013 12:14 »
I replaced mine with an aftermarket adjuster with a Allen hole ( like a grub screw ).
One of the few clever things I did.
Ground down an allen key to about 1/4" which made tappet adjustments a doddle.
Bike Beesa
Trevor
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 13.05. 2013 12:33 »
It's a 1/4 Whit nut, a 7/16" AF will work, sort of

Yep I replaced mine with the hex socket type, but originals had a square on the top.
All the best - Bill

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #12 on: 13.05. 2013 13:19 »
I have seen the allen socket type adjusters advertised, and I agree that fitting these is probably the best solution in the long run. My tappets however, are showing no evidence of wear on either the faces or the squares so there is no urgent need to change them just now. I have always muddled through tappet adjustment with odd nearly fitting spanners on the squares, and I got to wondering what the correct sized tool might be. The locking nuts are no problem as has been stated it is a 1/4" nut. By the way in order to gain proper access to the rocker cover front nuts I bent a combination spanner into a "L" shape. It is the perfect solution giving just the right length for turning and grip. I have often wondered why BSA put holes in the cylinder head to give access to the front rocker studs but omited to do so on the cylinder block. It is also interesting to note that BSA advised owners of new machines about the need to re torque the cylinder head, but no mention of taking it to a BSA dealer for this to be done as part of the bikes first service. How would that have affected the warranty I wonder? Would not bothering to do this task have invalidated the warranty, or if the owner did do it and bu**erd anything up in the process would that have been a cause of warranty disputes? Different times I suppose. As an aside, Probably some of you have heard this story before. He was not a BSA man, but it was Donald Heather of AMC who was alleged to have told Bert Hopwood that his original design for the Norton Jubilee engine was not acceptable because Hopwood had  designed the cylinder head and block as a one piece unit. Heathers rational was that motorcyclists liked to spend their weekends grinding the valves in. I don't know if that is really true, but it is a good story, and seems plausible given the attitude of the industry in those days.

John

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #13 on: 13.05. 2013 14:50 »
 I have allen type in both my A's. The first set I got were wassell, two of them broke at the bottom of the allen hole. *eek*
Next set were from SRM, very good.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Flatboy 1950

• A's Good Friend
    • Flat Earth Spares
« Reply #14 on: 13.05. 2013 15:30 »
There was a " Tuning Tip " years ago that instructed you to cut off the square , drill a 1/8 " hole down the center of the adjuster to within 3 threads from the bottom & then cut a screw driver slot in the top. Nice light tappet adjuster ......

Cheers , Flatboy.