Author Topic: Side car ?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Side car ?
« on: 12.05. 2013 17:06 »
This may be in the wrong part of the forum, but it could form part of the frame one day.
I am considering buying a single seat sidecar for my old swinging arm A10. I have seen some for sale but have no knowledge of fitting, brackets etc. Any experiences or advice would be nice. What would one cost ? I am quite happy to restore one.

Thanks Colin

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Side car ?
« Reply #1 on: 13.05. 2013 11:19 »
Morning Colin, whereabouts are you based? I only ask as I've got a single seater sprung chasis with the remnants of a single seat sidecar still attached .I say remnants and thats a fair description , it looks quite old  ,I could get some pictures if any interest. Cost , only what I paid for it .I'm in Liverpool, lets know what you think, regards Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 13.05. 2013 17:44 »
I am on the South East coast, not enough hours in the day-week to venture north. Thank you for the reply. I would hope to find one that came off an A10 with all the fittings.
Regards Colin

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 14.05. 2013 13:05 »
sorry colin didn't mention that ,it did and from memory it's got the front frame fixing tube may be more who knows, tis abit far for southener to venture ,perhaps in july when the perma frost as finally lifted ? or even to find some of your actual culture as Alf used to rant , hope you find one Regards BobH.ps  when you find one pm me and I can give some basic tips on setting an outfit up.

United Kingdom

Offline NottsIan

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 05.06. 2013 10:53 »
Hello Colin,

I've just fitted a sidecar to my '58 Golden Flash and it seems to be OK.

You don't say what year yours is. Before 1958 there were no sidecar mountings on the swinging arm frame as the plunger was still available and preferred by most sidecar men so you'd need to use clamps for all positions. From 1958 there is a socket on the frame close to the pillion footrest and another under the nose of the seat. Clamps are still needed for the other two mountings.

This is how I've attached mine. Sidecars are not all the same so other attachment methods may be more appropriate for you.

• A double clamp on the frame down tubes just below the nose of the tank. I couldn't find one of these so had to make one; I could post the drawing if required.
  • I replaced the engine mounting stud just under the dynamo with an eyebolt. An alternative to this would be a clamp near to the sidestand location
  • I fitted a ball socket to the mounting in the pillion footrest loop.
  • A fitting in the hole provided at the front of the seat. Again, I had to make one as they come up for sale rarely. I have seen one on German eBay since.

Hope this is useful. Let me know if you need drawings or photos.

Ian.
1958 Golden Flash & Watsonian Monosport
1961 Velocette Viper
1959 Triumph 21

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 05.06. 2013 22:47 »
Ian,
         Just as a matter of interest, the sidecar attachment was first fitted to the 1957 EA7 frame. Not sure when but some time during the production run for that year.

Trev.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 06.06. 2013 16:04 »
Thanks for replies, my 1954 has no fittings as standard. I have looked into the prices and to be honest, far too expensive. In my day you could buy a sidecar off of chaps who had just past their tests for peanuts. One thing I do remember is that you could take a passenger who did not have a licence with L plates.

Regards Colin

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 07.06. 2013 10:14 »
Not only a passenger Colin , in 1966 with "L" plates proudley displayed I was stopped by the Police , I had 3 mates perched on a board "where the sidecar "should be and my brother on pillion, reason, they were singing there heads off, slightly worse for beer @10-30 pm also my front number plate was on a handlebar fairing so not vertically fixed or as the young copper said not vertical to the perpendicular (?? ) as my brother then pointed out that what he'd said didn't make sense (19 at uni and mouthy ) the police then requested (told me ) to get home or be nicked , no mention of the lads on the board or there apparent lack of safety , slightly different reaction now you'd expect, !! regards and excuse my aside , BobH.
United Kingdom