Author Topic: Steering Head Cup Removal  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Tedzosbsa

• Active
Steering Head Cup Removal
« on: 12.05. 2013 20:40 »
Hi All,

I wanted to replace my old cups n' cones with shiny new Timkin's on my '49 A7, however, the cups have a smaller inner diameter than the neck tube so there is no way I can get any purchase on them to drift them out.  Also there's about a 1/8" length of threading on the inside of the cup... does anyone know if this is for a removal tool?  I've never heard of a bsa bearing cup removal tool, that'd be a new one for me.

I've read that the most common means of getting out pesky cups is welding a bead to it (which I'm not comfortable doing as I'll probably do more damage than remedying) or cutting and chiseling the pieces free... either way not ideal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tedzo

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Steering Head Cup Removal
« Reply #1 on: 12.05. 2013 21:58 »
HI Tedzo,
Yes the frame bearing cup is threaded to take an extractor
A steel plug with a suitable thread cut in it can be screwed into the cup and then the lot drifted out

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Tedzosbsa

• Active
« Reply #2 on: 13.05. 2013 00:28 »
Thanks a lot John,

I'll rig something up.

Tedzo

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #3 on: 13.05. 2013 12:16 »
What also works is grinding a step in the corner of a pin punch or chisel so it can sit on the side of the steering stem
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 13.05. 2013 16:02 »
I removed my bearing cups by MIG welding a short piece of steel scrap across the races, (no need to go near the outer bearing edge or frame) and then drifting out from the other end. The heat from welding must have helped.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #5 on: 16.05. 2013 05:13 »
More info. on "grinding the step on the pin punch/chisel" please Trevor, I cant picture how that works  *conf*, cheers

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 17.05. 2013 12:39 »

i spent an hour cutting down some steel...turning nice tight threads in it...tightned it into my bearing cup..a couple of swats with a hammer...(after a bunch of heat)   and broke all the threads out of the race... flipped the frame..threaded it into the other cup..a few whacks and knocked the tool out of the beraing..and all the threads off my tool...
soooooooo...ran a bead around the cup with my mig ..rolled the frame over and it fell out.. same with the other...

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 17.05. 2013 13:04 »
Been reading this with interest,seems like everything with these bikes each one is different , some fall out others need major "surgery" to remove them. Does anyone know if the ridgid/plunger and the s/w arm model are different?  I converted my s/w to taper rollers from george prew and my old cups came out with just a single tap with a drift ,appears I was very lucky and ignorant of any damage I could have caused with my jump in and see attitude back then, regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 18.05. 2013 10:59 »
More info. on "grinding the step on the pin punch/chisel" please Trevor, I cant picture how that works  *conf*, cheers
If I can find what I have done with it i will post some pickies.
In the meantime here is the logic.
If you try to knock them out with a punch or chisel, the corner fouls on the inside of the tube before it contacts the botom of the cup.
So with a pin punch or old round chisel you grind the end flat then grind a slice out of the edge so you have a step or notch as deep as the overhang of the cup ( about 1.5 mm ).
Bike Beesa
Trevor