Author Topic: Choosing/fitting dry cell battery  (Read 2104 times)

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
Choosing/fitting dry cell battery
« on: 14.05. 2013 09:28 »
I am looking to replace the wet lead acid battery with a couple of 6V dry cell batteries in parallel.

There seems to be two types of cells available, the Cyclon type sold by Amal, Burlen, and other suppliers and the H & T type, again sold under various names and suppliers, see photos.

My question is which of the two types is the best to go for? The Cyclon type is claimed to last up to 10 yrs and can hold its charge for up to 2 yrs, but is slightly more expensive. Can't find much in the way of spec's or claims for the H & T version? Are they much the same in construction and hence should have similar properties and spec's?

The Cyclon type is rated at 5AHr and the H & T type at 4.5AHr.

Any experiences of either type and their relative use and longevity etc would be appreciated.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: Choosing/fitting dry cell battery
« Reply #1 on: 14.05. 2013 12:33 »
I have converted to 12v and use two Cyclon batteries in series with a DVR2 regulator. So far they have been on the bike for about four years and have proved to be reliable. They do hold their charge well during long periods of inactivity. One word of warning!  The batteries can be irrevocably damaged if you do allow them to become completely discharged. For further reading on this topic check this link out.

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/AGM%20battery%20instructions.htm

For full information about the DVR2 go to this link:

http://www.dynamoregulators.com/dvr2.php

I have a 45 watt halogen headlamp and my E3L dynamo is able to cope with the load without any problem, although I have changed the rear stop/tail to an LED unit, and I have also swapped the speedo and rev counter  bulbs for LED’s. I changed the polarity of my charging system to -ve earth to make it easier to fit the LED’s but it is possible to purchase +ve  earth stop/tail LED units. For the purposes of off bike charging you will need a suitable charger. Conventional chargers are not suited to dry cell batteries. I am not sure how suitable the conventional mechanical regulator is with these batteries because I have no experience of that set up. Because I wanted to convert to 12v I had opt for the electronic regulator.

John

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #2 on: 14.05. 2013 13:09 »
The spiral cell pressure regulated asorbent glass mat battery is the current state of the art.
And worth every cent
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 14.05. 2013 16:13 »
I have converted to 12v and use two Cyclon batteries in series with a DVR2 regulator. So far they have been on the bike for about four years and have proved to be reliable. They do hold their charge well during long periods of inactivity. One word of warning!  The batteries can be irrevocably damaged if you do allow them to become completely discharged. For further reading on this topic check this link out.

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/AGM%20battery%20instructions.htm

For full information about the DVR2 go to this link:

http://www.dynamoregulators.com/dvr2.php

I have a 45 watt halogen headlamp and my E3L dynamo is able to cope with the load without any problem, although I have changed the rear stop/tail to an LED unit, and I have also swapped the speedo and rev counter  bulbs for LED’s. I changed the polarity of my charging system to -ve earth to make it easier to fit the LED’s but it is possible to purchase +ve  earth stop/tail LED units. For the purposes of off bike charging you will need a suitable charger. Conventional chargers are not suited to dry cell batteries. I am not sure how suitable the conventional mechanical regulator is with these batteries because I have no experience of that set up. Because I wanted to convert to 12v I had opt for the electronic regulator.

John

Thanks for your reply, advise and links.

I currently has an A.O. Services V-Reg-2a regulator fitted. So nothing more to do there and I use an Optimate charger, which should be OK with dry batteries?

Has anybody had and experience with the H & T type dry cell?

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 14.05. 2013 16:15 »
The spiral cell pressure regulated asorbent glass mat battery is the current state of the art.
And worth every cent

Have not heard of these batteries. Can you advise any that are suitable for fitting to the BSA as alternatives?

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #5 on: 14.05. 2013 17:04 »
Yes, Optimate will do just fine. I think that you will find that Cyclon batteries are spiral cell batteries, so called because the lead plates are wound in a spiral as opposed to flat plate batteries.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 14.05. 2013 17:39 »
I have converted to 12v and use two Cyclon batteries in series with a DVR2 regulator.

Me too, Being a smart A***  I bought three - 1 for my six volt flash and two to provide twelve on the Rocket, My thinking being if one did happen to fail I cam mix and match.
I've yet to fit them as I'm also thinking of the DVR2 for the 12 volt system and a rewire with smaller spades (tidy the thing up a bit), The Flash works just fine with Joe's mechanical mechanism.
John - Thanks for the warning re letting them get fully down, kind of like those Trillion candle power lamps you can buy, gives a lighthouse beam for half an hour on a charge, gradually dims to nowt over six months then goes out altogether (or have I just been unlucky)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 14.05. 2013 17:51 »
Fitted the H and T version, well similar supplied via VMCC last yr during my rebuild, works fine for my need,s, using 6v and single 4.5amp, holds charge well, with no fear of leakage (acid), and so small hidden in dummy battery box with my 3 fuses.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 15.05. 2013 10:55 »
And just to be pedantantic neither of the batteries are "dry cell".
Both are sealed lead acid ( well the cyclons are tin but that is a whole new thread ).
Bike Beesa
trevor
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 15.05. 2013 11:32 »
just to be pedantantic 

well just to be pedantic   ;) ;) sorry couldn't resist

amazing number of different element used to produce a voltage, In another part of my life we used NIFE batteries to light underground monitoring posts, these were about the size of two or three modern car batteries and used Nickel and Ferrous and if memory serves the  liquid was alkaline, their benefit was longer maximum output (12 volt) but once they started to go down it was practically instant
BTW way the chargers we had were forces issue and looked very like the BSA units often seen although not I think, however probably made to the same spec and design
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 15.05. 2013 19:18 »
Fitted the H and T version, well similar supplied via VMCC last yr during my rebuild, works fine for my need,s, using 6v and single 4.5amp, holds charge well, with no fear of leakage (acid), and so small hidden in dummy battery box with my 3 fuses.

Thanks for the reply. Does the dummy battery box fit into the battery compartment with the BSA battery straps fitted OK?

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 15.05. 2013 20:01 »
The dummy battery box is based upon the original sized battery, the one I have is rubber, and fits tight into battery holder, my Super Rocket had wire type clip, which has disappeared, I think via battery acid attack many years ago. I have not replaced this clip, but have secured dummy box base to battery holder.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 15.05. 2013 20:43 »
Thanks for the reply.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 19.05. 2013 01:38 »
Sprint,
                  Your RGS shouldn't have that type of battery strap.

Trev

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 19.05. 2013 09:06 »
Sprint,
                  Your RGS shouldn't have that type of battery strap.

Trev

You are quiet right.

Not sure why I posted that as it has the wire type fastener!