Author Topic: "Please take a mo to remember "  (Read 1475 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: "Please take a mo to remember "
« Reply #15 on: 18.05. 2013 09:24 »
men were men in those days

well just - very young men.
I live about 7 miles from an old wartime aerodrome (Milfield ) was a rest and recuperation for pliots , lots of dromes around as well, it's near the Cheviot hills, I've been up Cheviot, there is still the remains of a Mitchell bomber up there that crashed there, American crew killed, reminds you of the many nationality's that lost there young folk
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #16 on: 18.05. 2013 09:40 »
All Bomber Command crews were very brave. The 55,573 paid the ultimate price, and---they were all volunteers. It was the most dangerous service of WW2.
To remember them, go to East Kirkby, Lincolnshire. At the museum, listen to the Lancaster on certain days, with the engines running. For a price one can have a taxi ride, albeit short, in the "Lanc." An unforgettable experience. Try climbing over the main spar where it passes through the fuselage. It is quite a feat when the plane is stationary on the ground. Now imagine doing the same thing with the aircraft out of control with centrifugal force pinning you down & your life depending on it. Go to the Petwood Hotel, in Woodhall Spa, just a few miles away & see a marvellous selection of pictures of the squadron, as it was their "mess."
On last Thursday night, BBC2 produced a very good programme on the dams raid &, for a change, it was non biased & of good quality.
YES, remember them all. They were brave men
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Spitfiremk9

« Reply #17 on: 18.05. 2013 15:07 »
spot on Stu and many others , I believe the Canadian lanc is airworthy , the one mentioned at East kirby, google lincolnshire aviation centre is a facinating story of 2 brothers ,the Patton's, determination that the crews of bomber command weren't forgotten, particularly has they lost a brother over Germany . From talking to the manager who was extremley pleasant and a source of  so much info it was mind boggling they actually wanted a Halifax has there brother operated and died on one of those but by 1946 most had already been scrapped!! so they persauded there father to buy a surplus LANC, OH they did have one advantage in this scheme the family farm was used by and converted to a bomber field which reverted to them come peace ,so they had a fair bit of runway and taxi ways plus hangars  . Has stu said they taxi the lanc ,i think 3 times a year at sunset . Being an nosey sod by nature and mechanically minded I asked the question " could it fly " surprisingly the answer was yes , but would need an airworthiness cert which has they didn't have a way to fly her out probably wasn't feasonable.  He did mention that they lent parts to the BBMF and the raf reciprocated with lending them parts when their lanc was "offduty " noticeably radiators which they needed 2  to start the taxiing programme and from them they had patterns made and now they are nearer to having her as complete as a 70 yr old can be! finally I did see in flypast an article which said they had decided to get her airworthy now that would be a sight for sore eyes 2 lancs  in formation , if it happens could I suggest a forum get together at east kirkby to watch the historic event?? thanks for everybodys indulgence of my of topic post and the excellent response from like minded guys all over the world BobH