Author Topic: Clutch push rod A10 Road Rocket  (Read 2997 times)

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Clutch push rod A10 Road Rocket
« Reply #15 on: 23.05. 2013 15:04 »
Richard I think that happens where the pushrod is to long and really needs to be cropped. I've also resorted to cutting a pushrod and using a ball bearing between them only happened when I was suffering from a 6 spring clutch have never even thought about it since fitting a 4 spring unit. I've 4 spare pushrods acquired from god knows where but two are longer than the others but of equal length whereas the two shorter ones are both of different lengths , confusing or what ,regards BobH

" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Oscarmark

• A's Good Friend
  • Epsom, Surrey, South East England
« Reply #16 on: 28.05. 2013 18:04 »
Now that I have put a 1/4" bearing between the two parts of the push rod, the clutch seems to be operating ok......... although when I pull the clutch lever I notice that the clutch plate seems to move out unevenly.... now please forgive my ignorance here, but I know I need to adjust the springs. If I look down at the clutch (the primary is off) when operating the clutch lever the clutch seems to move out only toward the front, the rear half does not move very much............ do I tighten the front or loosen??

Hope this makes sense. I did purchase new springs but they were about 10% shorter than the old ones, so I have put the old ones back in.

Thanks again guys...

Mark

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 28.05. 2013 19:26 »
without seeing the clutch I'd slacken one side and tighten the other, advisable to turn the clutch a quarter turn and check again, continue until it lifts square in all positions - (not quite as easy to do as say)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Oscarmark

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 29.05. 2013 11:31 »
Still having issues in getting the clutch to raise evenly.... took it apart again and found that some of the plain plates are a little burred on the edges and having placed them on a glass table top I have noticed a few seem to be slightly warped..

Ordered a new set with new springs and new adjuster nuts.... lets hope that helps!!

Mark

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 29.05. 2013 11:50 »
good man
yes warped plates (even one) will make it nigh on impossible to set it up square
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #20 on: 29.05. 2013 18:09 »
I did purchase new springs but they were about 10% shorter than the old ones, so I have put the old ones back in

If the old springs where not put in by yourself, then check if they're all identical. You should have seen what I got out of my clutch....
From whatever angle I looked at them, I couldn't find two the same
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Oscarmark

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 29.05. 2013 19:07 »
Check out the four spring bolts I have removed.... coupled with a few warped plain plates and some worn adjusters, no wonder I had difficulty making adjustments.... they are not even the same length!!!!

Add new ones to my list....

Thanks again.

Mark