Author Topic: Starting after overhaul  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Oscarmark

• A's Good Friend
  • Epsom, Surrey, South East England
Starting after overhaul
« on: 02.06. 2013 22:06 »
Well my bike is just about back together, fluids in tomorrow.... then try and start. It has not had an engine strip down...

I have done the following

Sandblast and powder coat frame, swinging arm... all black bits
New wiring loom
New monobloc 389 carb
re-built magneto
New gearbox
New clutch
New Siamese exhaust
plus a whole lot more

Any tips on the start up??

I have drained all the oil and replaced the sump with an SRM magnetic type, so I am unsure how much oil will be left in the engine. I pumped out the oil tank and replaced the oil lines.

My bike has a manual advance / retard unit and manual choke.

Valve clearances have been set, unsure about the timing.

Thanks guys

Mark

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Starting after overhaul
« Reply #1 on: 03.06. 2013 10:25 »
G'day Mark.
               "It has not had an engine strip down..." Why not? You had it out, even just to clean out the sludge trap! Was it running and sounding good before you stripped her down?
 There won't be much oil left in there so I'd remove the oil pressure relief valve and wind her over till oil appears. Check the ignition timing, should be 5/16"-3/8" btdc at full advance (depending on comp ratio and fuel used), check there is spark. Replace plugs and start kicking. IF she runs check for oil returning to the tank.
 Best of luck.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Oscarmark

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 03.06. 2013 15:25 »
Thanks Muskrat,
I bought the bike in April, the engine had been overhauled with new pistons etc.. It had been running okay, but starting when hot was an issue...I am hoping that the re-built magneto will help solve that issue. Also the old carb had a badly scored slide.
I guess the things I am most concerned about are getting the timing right, lubricants and making sure that the oil is getting wher it needs to.

Thanks again...

Mark

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 03.06. 2013 15:46 »
Good luck, mine started first kick after several years. The oil return is the most important thing to worry about. They are great old beasts that won't lie down, hence the forum. You will be fettling for weeks after and no doubt asking several more questions. Go over every single nut and bolt you can find and check for tightness. Something will be loose ! Don't forget those tyre pressures as well ! & nice new premium petrol.

Regards Colin

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #4 on: 03.06. 2013 20:20 »
 OK that puts my mind at ease. Lots of posts on timing, use search. 12thou points, 3/8" btdc full advance (lever forward, no tension on cable), NGK B7ES plugs. Oil = 20/50 if in line filter fitted, mono 40 or 50 if not. If your rocker feed pipe has a section of rubber hose use it to give the rockers a good squirt with an oil can, or when oil returns to tank put finger over the return hole for a few seconds to give the rockers a bit more. The pilot will need a bit of tuning but try to wait till she's warmed up.
Keep us posted.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Oscarmark

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 05.06. 2013 17:51 »
Okay, I have put the oil into the tank and removed the oil pressure relief valve... How any times do I wind the engine over before I see oil coming out of the relief valve hole???
I have undone the feed oil line and oil is going though..

Thanks guys

Mark

Offline Oscarmark

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 05.06. 2013 18:21 »
Please ignore my last.... I currently do not have the clutch fitted... So the engine is not going to rotate!!! Dohhhh!!!!
Okay so when I fit the clutch tomorrow.... How any engine or crank rotations before I see oil?

Thanks again

Mark

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #7 on: 05.06. 2013 20:34 »
 G'day Mark, kicking feels much lighter that way. ;). It depends how cold/thick the oil is. Drop the feed pipe off the motor and wait for oil to appear first will speed it up. Then it should only be a few kicks till it appears at the oprv. Someone here once suggested taking the bike for a walk in gear with the plugs out, up and down the driveway.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7