Author Topic: Suitable sealant advice?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
Suitable sealant advice?
« on: 03.06. 2013 14:46 »
I have a RR2T gearbox which has a slight weep from the blind layshaft needle bearing at the rear of the box. Clearly at some stage it will need to be replaced but in the interim I would like to try and just seal the outside with a suitable sealant?

It is fairly tight to get to but apart from silicon or araldite are there any other sealants that may/would be suitable. Good adhesion and oil resistance being fairly important properties.

The surface has been cleaned and current oil/grease free. 

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Suitable sealant advice?
« Reply #1 on: 03.06. 2013 20:25 »
 I'd use silicon. To use araldite or liquid metal like JB Weld you would need to lay the bike on it's side till it sets and would be a bugger to clean up later for the proper fix.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 03.06. 2013 20:56 »
Hi Sprint,

There is a silicon called "Instant Gasket" that has been especially formulated for the automotive industry.  It comes in a toothpaste type tube and is available in several colours including clear.

I get mine from the local motorists discount store and use it in place of normal gaskets.  I'm obviously aware of oilways in the engine and use it sparingly.

Maybe you could try that?

Beezageezauk

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 04.06. 2013 15:49 »
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I will have a go with silicon and if that fails use some Araldite, the quick setting type which should go off before it runs?

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 04.06. 2013 22:20 »

Loctite 5926 is good silicone based stuff for that purpose. It just needs 24 hours to set, and can be removed fairly easy afterwards
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 05.06. 2013 09:09 »

Loctite 5926 is good silicone based stuff for that purpose. It just needs 24 hours to set, and can be removed fairly easy afterwards

Thanks

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #6 on: 05.06. 2013 09:40 »
The "radiator repair" epoxy ribbon works really well and will stick to oil wet alloy.
I use it regularly oon he work bikes when they get dropped and the brake pedals pop through the side covers.
The grey ribbon seems to work better than the blue & white one.
Bike Beesa
Trevor
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 06.06. 2013 08:19 »
The "radiator repair" epoxy ribbon works really well and will stick to oil wet alloy.
I use it regularly oon he work bikes when they get dropped and the brake pedals pop through the side covers.
The grey ribbon seems to work better than the blue & white one.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Good recommendation, thanks.

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #8 on: 06.06. 2013 16:18 »
Hi Sprint, Help me out if you can. My gearbox is leaking badly and I have stripped out the primary drive side to be better able to see where the leak was coming from. I was expecting it to be the final drive sprocket oil seal but that was as dry as a bone. My leak is coming from below that from around what looks like a bronze plug. Is that the end of the bush you are refering to?. Have you fixed yours yet because and what did you use, I need to do the same rather than strip the box AGAIN!.
Regards Huddie

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 06.06. 2013 17:21 »
Hi Sprint, Help me out if you can. My gearbox is leaking badly and I have stripped out the primary drive side to be better able to see where the leak was coming from. I was expecting it to be the final drive sprocket oil seal but that was as dry as a bone. My leak is coming from below that from around what looks like a bronze plug. Is that the end of the bush you are refering to?. Have you fixed yours yet because and what did you use, I need to do the same rather than strip the box AGAIN!.
Regards Huddie

Hi Huddie

Mine is a RR2T box so it has a blind needle bearing, but your will be a blind phosphor bronze bush as you have found.

Have not finally decided which sealant to use as I have not removed the chaincase I have a very limited access from underneath with the sprocket also in the way so I may use the putty type liquid steel sealant as it may be much easier to apply?

If you are looking for a semi-permanent solution that may be the way to go but I have no experience as to how hard it will be to remove the sealant at a later time?

Others who may have more experience on its use may be able to advise?