Author Topic: what a box.  (Read 1944 times)

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
what a box.
« on: 04.06. 2013 17:17 »
These gearboxes of ours are often described as "agricultural " in design but after what I've just seen on one no can dought that they were fit for purpose.( I wouldn't mind losing a couple of neuturals ) Anyway let me explain ,I've finally got a life long mate to get a BSA (he must finally have got fed up with my constant sniping about 2 wheeled lorries ( Hogs ) and rice rockets that he normally wastes his time with.
Anyway , Bruce ,once committed ( and shouldn't we all be ) is nothing but serious, missing a gearbox and being told "they're getting expensive " he not only proves me wrong but gets 2 and a half boxes for about £50 .
My job to get knee deep in this plunder; 1 st is damaged by a baboon with an hammer but certainly fixable second on inspection complete obviously the gearbox drive side bearing had gone 'cause you could waggle the shaft a fair distance anyway stripping it down everything was fine in the outer cover and complete , I'd already checked that it selected ok ,outer cover off pulled it all down and the cogs were looking fine pulling everything down  i looked at the sleve pinion and imediately thought that the diameter was large ,it was only after looking again I cottened on , the bush,at the drive end had gone also the metal was worn and  the mainshaft was noticeably worn down ,yet this box had still been in use and despite probably using it's own weight daily in oil hadn't seized .When you compared the worn pinion to another spare He had got as well, it looked like a different part  completely. It must be hats off to bsa for getting the design right oh and Bruce will certainly have a great reconded box within the next few weeks . Now any one got any wishes for parts I'll ask Bruce to find 'em asap, I think I can hear the pounding of many keyboards even now Best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: what a box.
« Reply #1 on: 04.06. 2013 17:42 »
David Brown made agricultural gearbox's, also made gearbox's for Aston Martin so there you go, not a lot of people know that, except you lot of course *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.06. 2013 03:00 »

Nice one Bob, some people'd give their eye teeth (pending availability), for one of those spare neutrals- maybe slip one on ebay, and see if you get takers...  *eek*

duTch  *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 05.06. 2013 10:55 »
A little more than making gearbox's Bill, DB = David Brown who owned Aston Martin FROM 1949 TO 1958, with your association with tractors you and Gav may like the quote about DB's by Enzo Ferrai " aston  martins ? the fastest tractors in the world " regards BobH

Dutch ,nice to hear from you ,ripping out neutrals as we speak, Cheers BobH
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 05.06. 2013 13:07 »
aston  martins ? the fastest tractors in the world

Faster then a Harley then

Cheers Bob, yes I had forgotten that they owned them
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 05.06. 2013 17:06 »

Gee, um am tryin to stay out o trouble, ....but, as a youngster we had a Vanguard Spacemaster, which was locally dubbed the 'Batmobile',(small town syndrome) -so here I'm trying to form a correlation between  that and the Aston-Martin, easy as the Battie/Spacie had (supposedly) the same engine as a Massey-Something(Fergo/Harris) tractor, so not only can I aspire to Bruce battoff Wayne, but Bond- James Bond *roll*- does that give me cool...?

rather be on my beeza tho!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 05.06. 2013 20:21 »
Right - now the Fergie thing is quite complicated
Harry Ferguson had this idea of a light tractor that would travel (lightly) over farm ground with implements mounted on Hydraulic arms at the rear, soil engaging implements like ploughs would have draught ( sucking force into the ground ) and transfer some of that force onto the rear wheels of the tractor aiding traction (in fact putting wieghts on the Front of the tractor helped even further due to weight transfered
For further info including the link with Vangaurd go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferguson_TE20
All the best - Bill

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 05.06. 2013 20:53 »
 Ha, duTch, your that cool, global warming will never affect Oz.
Back on track, the g/box in my A10 cafe is so strong even I can't kill it. Years of "flat change" no clutch racing didn't phase it.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 13.06. 2013 16:50 »
finally remembered how to resize so heres a couple of piuctures of the wear on this 'boxs sleeve bush and pinion, it is so worn you can see by eye the wear. On these 3 i've shown a new ereamed one for my new box ,a worn but reasonable one and this clapped one ! make a useful paperweight don't you think regards BobH,
United Kingdom

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 13.06. 2013 16:52 »
Then forget to add the picture , time to go home !!! BOb
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 16.06. 2013 08:49 »

Ha, duTch, your that cool, global warming will never affect Oz.

Geez Muskie, dunno 'bout that- reckon there's enough warm coming out've my ears to melt the Titanic (II) before it gets anywhere near an iceberg....!!    *smile*
Australia

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #11 on: 28.11. 2013 14:13 »
Gez, knew it was a long time ago I started this box but didn't realise it was around june. Well lots been done and many parts aquired by arch bikejumbler Bruce. Its now had new sleeve bushes fitted by Moi ( first time I've attempted it and went very well ( thanks to info from you kind lot ) reamed (same ) it , fitted 2 new layshaft bushes and reamed them to suit layshaft again a first for me )  and had to fit a speedo scroll from another u/s layshaft to it . Time to take stock and final clean back to gether and after 2 attemps at indexing the gearchange 4 gears and 1 neutral ( on Dutch's advice I'd sold the others off ) a really nice positive change and everything turning over nicely , just got to fit a gasket and check the layshaft shimming and job done.Thanks for all input and help over the past months!! Whats really remarkable is just how little this has cost Bruce. Would you believe with new bearings , sleeve bushes and a layshaft complete with bushes the cost is about £55 !! plus his time and petrol but it cost me over £170 just to do my layshaft !!
I 've now started to look at whats over and I think theres enough to build another box plus some plunger bits   ,here we go again !! cheers BobH.
United Kingdom

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 28.11. 2013 14:20 »
The previous pictures are what the bits were like on arrival , for instance lot at the lack of teeth on the kickstart rachet!! you've already seen the sleeve bush so can guess to state of the mainshaft but other bits were in remarkable good condition ,the pictures below show the stuff prior to final cleaning but after then had been tried in the box , I certainly feel that I've learned alot in this process and I wouldn't have even attempted it without the knowledge and confidence aquired by the members here cheers BobH.
United Kingdom

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #13 on: 28.11. 2013 14:22 »
Please note the mark 1 bsa coffee machine in the background is available for use by any forum memeber who visits !! BobH *lol*
United Kingdom

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #14 on: 28.11. 2013 14:27 »
Coffee machine = important tool! Good luck with the work progress.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"