Author Topic: Front wheel removal  (Read 1028 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Front wheel removal
« on: 08.06. 2013 18:14 »
Hi Lads.
Just had my rear wheel re built which is now re fitted and looking good. I had to use my trolley jack as I don't have a center stand. Now I want to do the front wheel but the jack will only lift the back by the frame tubes due to center of balance. Has anyone got round this problem, I have a SRM sump drain which negates me pulling the jack forward. Hope this makes sense. Mine is the single sided early S/A forks.

Thanks lads

Colin

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Front wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: 08.06. 2013 20:28 »
Hi Colin,

I see from your images that you have your bike secured to a bike lift.  I also see that your bike has an original front mudguard and stays.  The stay that attaches to the rear of the front mudguard was designed to hinge from the front forks and double as a front wheel stand.

I would imagine that your problem would be solved by utilising this front wheel stand/stay and supporting the bike using straps from the handlebars as well as the rear of the bike.  You could also chock the underside of the front frame tubes and the underside of your footrests with wooden blocks.

Beezageezauk.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 09.06. 2013 14:31 »
Beeza
What images were you looking at, I have not posted any. I have a Gold Star front mudguard. Still seems that all the weight is on the front end.

Regards Colin
Thanks for the answer in any case.

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 09.06. 2013 16:31 »
Hi again Colin,

Talk about senior moments eh!!

I was reading your reply regarding bike identification and there was a picture of Orabanda'a bike above your posting.  I guess I need to take more water with it so it's back to the drawing board for me.

Beezageezauk.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 09.06. 2013 16:42 »
No prob Beezagezza, been watching your last hour on ebay ???
looks quiet
Colin

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 09.06. 2013 17:09 »
Yeah but I don't think it's overpriced to start with.

It's had 825 views and over 100 watchers up to now with an hour to go so we'll see what happens at towards the end.

Beezageezauk.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 09.06. 2013 21:38 »
Hi Lads.
Just had my rear wheel re built which is now re fitted and looking good. I had to use my trolley jack as I don't have a center stand. Now I want to do the front wheel but the jack will only lift the back by the frame tubes due to center of balance.

I got round this by using a wall to wall 5x3" I-beam I installed some time ago with a sliding trolley and a ratchet hoist. It already saved my back a couple of times when shifting heavy things around the shed. It also serves as a drying rack when I painted something.
The alternative is to have a heavy mate to sit on the back of the dual seat, while you take the front wheel out, and shove something underneath the forks.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 10.06. 2013 10:14 »
 Use a pair of car stands under the footpegs high enough to lift the rear wheel an inch off the ground the use trolly jack under the sump to lift the front.
Hope you never get a flat out on the road  *sad2*. ISDT riders would just lay the bike down to do the job. *eek*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7