Author Topic: BNR clutch drag.  (Read 1495 times)

Offline a10 bobber

• Moving Up
BNR clutch drag.
« on: 15.06. 2013 07:36 »
Hell. As above, my noble clutch is dragging slightly but is also not disengaging properly? When i go to slip first gear in(or any come to that) it slightly grinds and clunk,it doesnt sound very pleasent! on the road it also doesnt exactly slip into gear, seems to have too much of an 'edge'to the shift. I called Bob and he advised the belt could be too tight which it was! so, re-tentioned the belt with ample slack(can just about twist the belt through 90degs as recommended)and adjusted the drive chain.The clutch starts to bite about 2/3 lever release. The clutch cable just about has a bit of slack and the clutch arm runs parrallel to the gearbox casing.all looks well from the outside. Also i have adjusted the clutch as per fitting instructions, i have only wound the pressure plate nuts in 1 1/2 turns further than for initial set-up, as it was slipping slightly, bearing in mind the clutch has done 3000miles.

Thanks for any help.Paul.

Offline a10 bobber

• Moving Up
Re: BNR clutch drag.
« Reply #1 on: 16.06. 2013 11:19 »
All sorted.i needed more tention on the pressure plate.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #2 on: 09.08. 2013 04:54 »
I'm running a BNR clutch on my race A10, brilliant, and it seriously cut down noise I'd got used to from running a dry primary chain with a bit of lube. Hadn't realised how noisy the chain was!
But overtightening a belt is a big no no.
Glad to hear its sorted
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline a10 bobber

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 13.08. 2013 12:03 »
Just to update.I had to slacken the belt even more with the hot weather.that alloy seems to really expand.now when cold the belt seems scarily loose.But again,when really hot the gearshift was ragged and couldn't select neutral.just hoping it's not too loose now.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #4 on: 18.08. 2013 05:56 »
My covers for the clutch are heavily modified to allow airflow, but then its a track bike and gets a fair workout lugging two people.
Something I would like to do is degree mark the front pulley with a view to strobe timing as my ignition can be rotated having slotted the mounting points
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline a10 bobber

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 25.08. 2013 09:26 »
I haven't got a clutch cover! *eek*