Author Topic: Oil retaining ball modification (to A65 system)  (Read 4025 times)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Adm edit: post split from http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=7010.msg50526#msg50526 (wardleyrob).

Would be very interesting to know how to access the spring\ball without engine strip\case split !
Thanks

edti: seems a mod is possible.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Oil retaining ball modification (A65 system)
« Reply #1 on: 13.06. 2013 21:11 »
 G'day wardleyrob, twin brother of wardleybob *????*.
I would imagine to do the job insitu you would drill out the oilway till the orig ball & spring come out then modify the hole to go al la A65. Would this not make the new oil way too large or do you plug the hole and re drill *????*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.06. 2013 22:08 »
Would this not make the new oil way too large or do you plug the hole and re drill

I've only seen a pic of this SRM mod Musky, I presumed that the ball seated against the pump body (, the pump body being chamfered to suit and a longer spring and larger ball)
 Can't recall where I saw this, bound to have been an article in one of the mags,  jeez if I had a memory I'd be dangerous
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 14.06. 2013 10:14 »
Hi , I've had the SRM mod done about 8 yrs ago and because of another similar thread re wet sumping , as a result I had to ring them as I seemed to rememeber the ball being against the pump and thought bingo it's slipped off hence my sumping problem but no on checking ball goes against the crankcase spring against the pump as per so I'm told  A65 so it would be easy ...if you've had the conversion done , regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 14.06. 2013 10:46 »
Hey Bob,
I am in the process of working out a procedure to convert A10's to the superior A65 arrangement, and will post details when I am happy with it (keeping it in the family!).

I think it might be possible to do the mod without splitting the crankcases.

If the spring is placed against the oil pump, and the ball is on the timing bush side, then it is likely to block oil flow to the bush.

Richard

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 14.06. 2013 11:27 »
Richard ,shown up again ! You are quite right and I did honestly mean the other way round but fingers and mind not in unision yet again , think of the engines I could have ruined Regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 15.06. 2013 22:06 »
hi guys/orabanda, i have an idea myself, have a look and make comments,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil retaining ball modification (to A65 system)
« Reply #7 on: 15.06. 2013 23:56 »

As I read the first posts, I had a similar idea to kiwipom (your credit, I'm not stealing your thunder), using a 'grub-screw' from a LPG fitting. There is a variation I recently discovered that has a replaceable rubber seal tip, held in place via a screw in plug with ~5mm bore,and ball and spring behind (I expect for using two+ bottles to a system- irrelevant).
 It's a bit chunky but maybe enough material to slice a different thread and trim to length so to not block the bush oil feed and use whichever spring most useful....or whatever??

Come to think any Allen-head grub screw could be drilled through but steel ones maybe a less satisfactory seating medium, or could maybe even make your own from Ally bar(drill and press in a hex before threading o/s)?
It needs to be simple and easy to service. I don't think locktight necessary, as 'where's it gonna go to?'

Hope that makes sense, it took a while! cheers, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 16.06. 2013 03:17 »
Good move making this a separate topic!

I will have info to contribute soon.

I am hoping to use A50 / A65 ball, spring and gasket, because they are available, cheap, and they work!

The A50 spring is much heavier than the existing A10 arrangement (which is why the A10 doesn't work).

Bear in mind that when the ball is moving back into the casing, it could block off the oil hole (at 90 degrees) linking into the timing bush, if the drilled depth of the hole is incorrect!

Richard

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 16.06. 2013 05:10 »
Hi guys, yes Richard as you say of blocking the oil hole, but my idea was basically using the same ball and spring and simply making a removable seat which could be accessed from the pump side, the ball seems to be back about 20mm but an exact measurement would have to be made so as to manufacture the removable seat. Dutch the insert seat would need to be sealed in some way or oil could pass around and down the insert bypassing the ball and spring, (my opinion)cheers

NewZealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 16.06. 2013 08:40 »

Oh yeah K-Pom, yer right, I stand corrected- I'm a dumbass, was forgetting that this is all about the wet-sump issue in a dormant engine , when running I think it wouldn't matter.
 Loktite and Selleys(?) do a couple of products that's used on hydraulic threads, I used one on my sludge trap plugs, may be the go?

Cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 16.06. 2013 21:40 »

the ball and spring...very interesting as i am sure SRM just told me to drill thru with a 5/16 bit..and drop in the a65 ball and spring...
have to go back thru my correspondence...see if i missed something..  the sleeve idea looks easy enough...as long as it doesnt slide a bit further down the hole...

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 16.06. 2013 23:09 »
hi guys/shuswapkev, yes i may have `over engineered` my idea but keeps the brain active,cheers

NewZealand

Offline wardleybob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 17.06. 2013 08:28 »
Hy kiwepom I have done the conversion without spliting the cases. You drill a 5/16 hole tease the original ball and spring out.
Make sure you put a stronger spring back in.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 17.06. 2013 10:28 »
hi guys/wardleybob,so does the ball seal against the pump? cheers

NewZealand