Author Topic: A right result!  (Read 859 times)

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
A right result!
« on: 19.06. 2013 16:52 »
Just thought I would share this with you all. It might be useful information for someone. I had an ongoing problem with plugs fouling. No matter what I did the plugs were always sooty. A bike that has always been reliable started to become an erratic starter, and a snap throttle opening would cause it to pop and bang. Sometimes it would spit back through the card as well. Quite by chance I discovered that the tank lining was breaking down due to ethanol. The tank has now been relined with ethanol proof tank liner. I also stripped the carburettor and found that the idle circuit was full of muck and debris. I had checked and cleaned the jets several times, and they always seemed to be clear but there was little if any improvement after doing this. Anyway, I got the tank back from the guy that put the new liner in and I stripped the carb completely  and gave it a good blast through with brake cleaner. This was followed by clean a further clean up in my cheapo Aldi ultrasonic cleaning tank (IMS and distilled water). What a result! The bike is back to reliable starting. One or two kicks hot or cold (first kick mostly) and it pulls like a train. It revs freely  and smoothly, and idles reliably. In fact it has never run so well. And the plugs? A beautiful tan colour they do not even get sooty after idling.It has been running like this for a few weeks now. I am one happy bunney.

John

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: A right result!
« Reply #1 on: 19.06. 2013 22:35 »
 Great to here John. That bl@@dy ethanol strikes again. We still have a choice down here.
I'll have to get one of those ultrasonic cleaners.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: A right result!
« Reply #2 on: 20.06. 2013 11:26 »
Well I can go one better than that.
A mechanic rang me a while back for info about timing an old Bessa.
So I ran him through the drill.
He rang back got it all sorted but the bike just would not go.
I popped in to have a sticky & noticed the petrol ( er fuel ) was not quite right so we drained some from his daily ride, still no joy.
Then we swapped ane plug from the daily ride and "viola", it started so he tuned it and called the customer.
A week latter he was back on the phone & the bike was back in the shop.
basically the same thing, new fuel, new plug & back out it went.
A week latter it was back in the shop again.
After several months we ( well he actually ) worked out it took about 10 days for the tank lining to pollute the "fuel" to the point that it would no longer burn.
this non volatile muck then fouled the plug & it was good night Irine.
The owner who was now irate having missed the event that he originally bought the bike to attend actually destroyed the old tank after having a new copy made by a local sheetie.

So you are not alone.
And this was standard unleaded. No "e" blends.
Bike Beesa
Trevor