Author Topic: Quality of parts  (Read 1301 times)

Offline KeithS

• Moving Up
Quality of parts
« on: 22.06. 2013 19:33 »
I've just received an order of bits for my A10 and am a bit taken aback at the finish of the stuff.
The twistgrip alloy needed filing smooth to give a decent action - there was lots of excess alloy. The cable wouldn't fit in the slot of the cable entry bolt so I had to file that out.
The centre stand needed grinding to get the holes to line up.
The finish of the chrome on the brake and clutch levers isn't too good.
Is this what I am to expect or have I been unlucky - I don't consider the stuff to be cheap!!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Quality of parts
« Reply #1 on: 22.06. 2013 19:37 »
I used Draganfly in the UK for most of my new bits. Mostly stuff was ok; some stuff was wrong and I will be taking it back. The finish of most things was acceptable, if not as good as the old days.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 23.06. 2013 11:35 »
I agree the quality and the finish is not as good as the original, but you need to establish where the part is manufactured, with many parts coming out of India etc, with very few Made in the Uk these days, most replacement painted parts I have bought have been refinished if only to colour match to the rest of the bike. Where possible I have changed to s/steel, ie exhaust, silencer, fork seal holders, fasteners and wheels and these parts are all UK manufactured and quality is very good. Another item I have just bought is a rev counter, supplied as new by Ashley Pople, wow this is stunning, so reassuring you can still get good product. Another great item is copper rocker gaskets, again very high quality from the States.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.06. 2013 12:04 »
I did have to 'fettle' some parts; for instance cam followers and pushrods had horrible lumpy profiles in the domed areas where they meet. I don't have a lathe so I used my trusty Black & Decker electric drill held in the vice jaws to re-shape the surfaces using grinding paste and then fine wet and dry paper; finishing off with Solvol Autosol.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 23.06. 2013 15:24 »
Yep, it's always a worry when parting with money for parts over the phone or internet which you haven't seen.
Quality is generally not good unless for example we're talking about UK made precision parts like stainless fasteners/fork seal holders from Barleycorn or parts from SRM.
A mate of mine with a Triumph T110/Bonnie had his after market cylinder barrel shear off completely just above the base flange. It completely wrecked most everything above it and and bent the con rods as well. The casting was desperately thin where it sheared off and you have to question the casting dimensions as well as the cast iron grade used. No doubt in my mind it wasn't cast using Triumph's mold or used the same cast iron.
Also watch out for parts which are cast which BSA used to forge - e.g. kickstarts.
I'm not surprised that Keith had to fettle his centre stand casting.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 23.06. 2013 16:31 »
A mate of mine with a Triumph T110/Bonnie had his after market cylinder barrel shear off completely just above the base flange.

Had the same happen with a Triumph, too, except it only cracked round one bore, so no other damage.

Safer to rebore an old barrel than buy new.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 23.06. 2013 19:15 »
The worst thing I bought were B31 head bolts. I attempted to fit them but they were just too dodgy and I had to re-use the old ones. I have never bought a basket case because there are likely to be too many new parts needed, which are bound to be inferior to the genuine BSA item. I prefer to buy a complete but tatty machine. My A7 has no side stand and it is a pig to get onto the centre stand. I've not risked buying an after-market side stand as I know some of them are cast iron and snap off like carrots.

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 23.06. 2013 19:51 »
A mate of mine with a Triumph T110/Bonnie had his after market cylinder barrel shear off completely just above the base flange.

Had the same happen with a Triumph, too, except it only cracked round one bore, so no other damage.

A fundamental design fault with the barrels on Triumphs is that they lack the extra strength which BSA give the barrel casting by having the push rod 'tube' cast into the barrel and not 2 separate tubes like the Triumph which add no strength at all (and leak regularly), so are susceptable to after market poor quality.   Does this make us feel better? Oh Yes.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 23.06. 2013 20:05 »

A fundamental design fault with the barrels on Triumphs is that they lack the extra strength which BSA give the barrel casting by having the push rod 'tube' cast into the barrel and not 2 separate tubes like the Triumph which add no strength at all (and leak regularly), so are susceptable to after market poor quality.   Does this make us feel better? Oh Yes.

Whatever twits made the barrels would find some way to make A10 ones break too!

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 23.06. 2013 21:04 »
Yep, had two go on the A7SS. Mind you it took a lot of work (13:1 at 8grand) to do it. What's that sound? Only the rockerbox hitting the tank *ex*.
I tend not to buy anything with a brand name starting in W.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 24.06. 2013 09:14 »
Oh Oh, thanks for that Musky, very comforting.
Now that I've been slagging off Triumph barrels I've increased my chances of my rocket box reshaping my tank. That's the way life goes.

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #11 on: 24.06. 2013 12:57 »
some of them are cast iron and snap off like carrots

It depends how they're made. Some cast irons such as ADI are used to make lorry suspension wishbones and are reportedly as strong as forgings. To be accurate ADI is a heat treatment rather than the material, its a step on from Noddy iron. I wouldn't trust cheap ones made from ductile iron / mehanite.

I too avoid buying anything begining with a W. [Except Whisky]
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #12 on: 25.06. 2013 09:00 »
It would be nice to know where the suspect parts came from , if they were branded parts and what the original poster considers as "not cheap"

I have been playing with BSA's for over 40 years and been the secreary of the BSAMCC of NSW for over 20 years.
In that time I have never had a single person contact me and ask " where can I get the best quality whatnot for my BSA "
Vendors where I used to get parts from would appologise to me & tell me that the parts they had in stock were garbage & if I wanted good ones I would have to wait for them to order them in .
When challenged the answer was always the same. "To keep the door open I have to sell a lot of parts and it is only a hand full of enthusiats like yourself and some reputable mechanics who will pay for good quality parts".
The only reason why there is shit parts out there is that there are more skinflint bastards who will scour the world to find the cheapest possible part even if it does not fit thay do not care so long as it is cheaper than the last one they bought.
Bike Beesa
Trevor