Author Topic: Info needed re fitting TLS brake  (Read 2580 times)

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
Info needed re fitting TLS brake
« on: 26.11. 2008 22:58 »
Hi all,
I have commenced fitting a triumph / BSA 8" TLS brake to a 1960 Super Rocket.

The brake backing plate lug on the fork leg is not long enough to engage in the TLS backing plate.

Does the lug need to be modified to fit ie made deeper?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard

Re: Info needed re fitting TLS brake
« Reply #1 on: 26.11. 2008 23:07 »
Richard
I did the same to my 61 super rocket and there are a few ways of doing it
1) the lugs on the brake plate can be built up.
2) the lug on the forks can be built up.
3) you can obtain another spindle and machine a groove I beleive 1/4inch further in so when fitted the lower fork bolts fits into the new groove and pulls the forks in 1/8 of an inch each side.
This last way was the method I chose it has made no difference to the handling or the operation of the forks and is a method I have seen before
The beauty of this method is the spindles are available and you still have the old parts if you wish to sell the bike and keep the twin leading brake for a future project the brake plate has not been distorted by welding and the forks do not have to be stripped down or resprayed after welding
Hope this help
Richard

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 27.11. 2008 08:31 »
I had the fork leg on mine built up(TiG) so as not to distort it.
I'm surprised your method worked Richard. I have an A65 wheel in mine and had to put grooves on the spindle further out, as the legs nipped up. I suppose though, as yours didnt have an extended lug the pinching in was more gradual because it occurred over the full length of the fork, rather than between lug and spindle.
Cheers,
iain

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #3 on: 27.11. 2008 10:16 »
Interesting way Richard went with this problem, I had not thought of that and went the fork lug extending way rather than building up the alloy on brake plate.

Welding on steel is much safer than alloy welding unless your an expert with such metals. The result was a fantastic stopping brake even though I know it is still not properly set up and can be improved further, but having said all that the 8" single leader should be as good if that is set up correctly as I have done on another A10. Seven inch Leaders on my lighter bikes (Star Twin and M21) also work very well if set up but I did not think a 7" is very good on an A10 with it being a much heavier bike.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline Chrisf1

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 29.11. 2008 18:45 »
Hi i have done this on my super rocket cum cafe racer i had the the lugs extended with alloy weld and the the whole plate polished it works and looks well see pic Chris

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.11. 2008 11:27 »
Hi everyone; thanks for the advice!

I will have the lug built up using TIG. It needs to be 3/8" longer by my measurements.

I machined the drum true today, and then machined my oversize shoes to match; it's going to be a good stopper!

Thanks,

Richard