Author Topic: 4 spring clutch !! for a10  (Read 1409 times)

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
4 spring clutch !! for a10
« on: 25.06. 2013 16:15 »
Hi, every one just need to know what the adj should be on the above, i have fitted a new clutch complete with a new chain wheel etc, the 4 nuts are at there limit just showing the thread of the 4 number bolts is this correct?? the other thing i am hoping someone can answer, is how do you put the locking nut on the clutch lever, the nut just seems to big.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Re: 4 spring clutch !! for a10
« Reply #1 on: 25.06. 2013 17:40 »
Hi Mike
Colin here, used to have the Crusader and came to your place once. I put a new four spring clutch in my 1954 S/A A10. I got the clutch from Kidderminster M/C's, very good indeed. I bought the springs somewhere else and they were much shorter ( wrong ). Anyway I put the correct springs in and tightened it up one turn after it stopped slipping. Rides really nice. As for that nut, someone else can answer that as I have had no experience there.

Regards Colin

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 26.06. 2013 09:10 »
Hi Mike.
What clutch lever are you referring to, the gear box one has a locknut on a short adjusting screw, which in turn pushes onto the clutch push rod, located behind the gearbox inspection plate.
I recently sent for 4 spring clutch springs and the incorrect one arrived, been advised there are 3 lengths, not saying this applies to A10 as you have to remember this is a Triumph clutch.
Clutch set up is often discused on this forum, see link to recent topic and this should assist you to set up. Once set up correctly I find the clutch a joy to use, lubricated cable helps, but the key is even plate operation and release.

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=564.0
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 26.06. 2013 10:33 »
Hi Mike , as Billy said you need to clarify which end you're referring to ,I think you are talking about the nut which is part of the clutch arm adjustment . To confirm; if you have removed the small oval cover ,held by 2 screws ,the nut would be looking right at you, on the part of the arm that pushes the pushrod through the mainshaft to "lift " the clutch . It does appear big thats because there is a slot for a screwdriver in the end of the adjuster on to which the nut fits , you loosen the nut and adjust the actuating arm so that its pararell  with the case when the clutch lever is pulled to the bar and the clutch is in the disengaged position ie lifted. IF you can't see any thread to screw it onto its in to far and possibly the pushrod is slightly to short ,cure could be pull out pushrod through the adjuster ,cut pushrod in half and insert one half and  then a ball bearing and the other half of pushrod that could solve it  ,oh harden the ends of the pushrod . There should also be a ball in the end of the adjusting screw where it bears on the pushrod ,you'll see an indent in the ends of the pushrod and there should be one in the presure plate as well . Do you have adjusters on the handle bar lever or just the gearbox ends ? I have both which makes doing routine adjustment quite easy ,even whilst riding and finally don't forget to have a bit of slack in the cable when its at rest. Hope that helps regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 26.06. 2013 10:53 »
Michael, you could go for ride with primary cover off and see if slips? That will take a bit of guess work out of it, it will tend to slip a bit more with oil in the case i guess though, put screws to stop coming oil coming out of the front 3 bigger case bolts, not long enough to hit the crank though.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 26.06. 2013 17:52 »
Thanks to all for the info re above item a short rod was sent with the clutch this was the problem.any way once again
thanks for you info.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 26.06. 2013 18:04 »
Hi Mike.
If you still make a nice cuppa I will bring my a10 over to show you.

regards Colin