Author Topic: Changing oil  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Get

• Active
Changing oil
« on: 11.07. 2013 15:46 »
Hello,
Changing oil in my 1960 Super Rocket A-10. Drained tank and sump and cleaned all. Do I put oil in crank case and if so how and how much? My Haynes manual does not mention this. Thanks.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Changing oil
« Reply #1 on: 11.07. 2013 16:45 »
Nope just in the tank, it's a relatively dry sump system.

Welcome to the forum, it's nice to see you stuck into the bike's  maintenance, would also be nice to have a little bit of info about you and the bike, nothing to personal just a bit of a welcome intro, we're a friendly lot nice to have you on board
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 11.07. 2013 17:06 »
Hi and welcome to the forum, as Bill state,s the A10 is a dry sump system, but can suffer with wet sumping, would be interesting how much oil was in the sump, much more than 1/2 pint and you may well have an issue. Search "Wet sumping" for full explanation.
This forum will be a great help towards the enjoyment of the A10.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 11.07. 2013 17:26 »
All A10's wet sump a bit or a lot, which we are all used to. I have an SRM pump and still get a bit. This clears after 2 seconds after starting. Worth reading the thread all about it and why it happens. welcome to the forum and keep the questions going we all enjoy it and learn every day.
PS keep every thing clean when doing the oil, no grit or dirty rags.
Regards Colin

Offline Get

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 11.07. 2013 21:43 »
Hello and thanks for the welcome!
I'm in N.W. Pa. U.S.A. And have enjoyed motorcycles for many years, mostly vintage Hondas and was always interested in British bikes but also a little spooked of reliability issues from stories I've heard. Then I got to know some folks that say that if set up correctly and maintained properly any motorcycle can be reliable and fun. They were right! Thanks for the info. Glenn

1960 Super Rocket
1969 Lightning
1969 T100C
1970 B25 Starfire
And 22 others

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 11.07. 2013 22:28 »
And 22 others
  *smile*

Welcome, some pictures and info in 'Bikes, Pictures & Members' always appreciated.
Am hoping you will find the forum useful.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline chaz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 17.07. 2013 12:48 »
also a little spooked of reliability issues from stories I've heard. Then I got to know some folks that say that if set up correctly and maintained properly any motorcycle can be reliable and fun. They were right! Thanks for the info. Glenn

why do people write this???
you ought to be spooked by the reliability of modern bikes. unreliability was the norm back in the days, reliability is too comforting . you never know when they are going to go wrong!!

welcome to the happy house of fun ( and sweat)
allways willing to learn
United Kingdom

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 17.07. 2013 13:09 »
Hi Glenn and welcome to the crazy world of BSA's and the great set of guy's who are this forum ! I agree with modern upgrades and a bit of care these bikes are reliable and above all else FUN, we often mention the grin that we know will be on a BSA a10's riders  gob ... sorry mouth , it's almost permanent from the mo you get going, excuse my ignorance but didn't know Honda's got old enough to become "classics"  sorry that's the last dig I promise but couldn't resist ( please feel free to call me a cheeky sod ), best wishes BobH 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom