Author Topic: Kickstart quadrant and pinion  (Read 1963 times)

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
Kickstart quadrant and pinion
« on: 13.07. 2013 09:42 »
Have found a K/S quadrant to replace my broken one. It is the version with the detachable quadrant on the splined shaft.

However, I find that it locks on the K/S pinion. On inspection I see that the teeth profiles are different with the replacement quadrant having a more square profile whilst that of the old one and the pinion having a more pointed profile?

Was not aware that there were different types? Would prefer to use the replacement one as it is in very good condition and has the benefit of being able to position the K/S lever.

Can somebody advise which is the correct one for the 63 Super Rocket/A10 engine? Is it possible to obtain a 'square' tooth pinion to match the quadrant and if so can somebody advise the part No or model that it was used on?

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Kickstart quadrant and pinion
« Reply #1 on: 13.07. 2013 10:34 »
HI again
Yes there are two types, I have a pair of the flat top toothed pinion and quadrant ( sorry I'm not splitting them at the mo)
However if you go here you'll get the part numbers and possibly work out where the flat ones belong model wise
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/category/1097-rigid-a-plunger-a-group-sarm-a-a-b-group-and-all-4-speed-c-group

Not quite sure if the pics (if any) are always relevant to the part number, or the price !!!!!! what
Other dealers will have them maybe, would be worth a call, always found Lyfords and C&D autos and Lightening spare very helpfull
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.07. 2013 14:12 »
It seems that  Draganfly's part number links are not working properly. They all seem to point to the same set of Allen wrenches. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Richard L.

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 13.07. 2013 21:08 »
HI again
Yes there are two types, I have a pair of the flat top toothed pinion and quadrant ( sorry I'm not splitting them at the mo)
However if you go here you'll get the part numbers and possibly work out where the flat ones belong model wise
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/category/1097-rigid-a-plunger-a-group-sarm-a-a-b-group-and-all-4-speed-c-group

Not quite sure if the pics (if any) are always relevant to the part number, or the price !!!!!! what
Other dealers will have them maybe, would be worth a call, always found Lyfords and C&D autos and Lightening spare very helpfull

Thanks Bill

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 13.07. 2013 21:16 »
It seems that  Draganfly's part number links are not working properly. They all seem to point to the same set of Allen wrenches. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Richard L.

Yes it seems to, but if you look to the top of the page it lists and prices the item

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 16.07. 2013 14:15 »
Have managed to find a new pinion with the correct 'square' tooth profile, so I use the earlier K/S quadrant.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 16.07. 2013 14:54 »
Hi where did you locate the pinion ? I was after one 2 mths ago and everyone was out of stock at that point, also how much did it set you back, I lookly found a second hand one that was ok but will need another one shortly. Regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 16.07. 2013 16:21 »
Bob,

It's going to be interesting to hear how that works out. The pinion doesn't look quite as squared-off as the quadrant, I assume to ease meshing.

Richard L.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 16.07. 2013 20:33 »
you got me doubting for a minute Richard, buuut think their right the more common type are quite sharp at the tooth end
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco