Author Topic: been a while  (Read 1036 times)

Offline chaz

• A's Good Friend
been a while
« on: 17.07. 2013 12:44 »
well, its been a while since the A10 last ran, probably 3 months!! been sat on the ramp waiting for me to do something.
drained the sump as emptied the oil tank. re sealed , charged the battery tickled the carb , kick, nothing. tickle again kick, kick back!!  prommissing. tickle again, another kick and starts up not much blue smoke either... *smile*
all good, must get it MOt and Taxed as required, free tax no mot, and its insured.... *smile* ;)
bugg3r  leaking out from behind the chain case now where the final drive exits.... *angry*

suppose that means clutch strip , ah well looks like another couple of weeks off the road....

normal weather will have resumed by then. *conf*
allways willing to learn
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: been a while
« Reply #1 on: 17.07. 2013 12:54 »
chaz, just check that oil hasn't weeped into the P/chaincase whilst it's "been off the road "  mine did and I ended up with the stuff everywhere,it could easily have enough to pump it out the mainshaft hole in the case ,worth a look and could be out this affy in the sun, regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline chaz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 17.07. 2013 21:50 »
yes Bob, drained the primary this evening and took out best part of a pint..
so hopefully that's that, next question is would that amount of oil stopped me being able to select a gear, holding the clutch ?
allways willing to learn
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 18.07. 2013 03:37 »
G'day Chaz, yes it would if the clutch was slipping due to too much oil.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #4 on: 18.07. 2013 10:56 »
Oil wont "hold" the clutch enough to stop you selecting a gear. Did you free the clutch off with the kickstart after it's lay up?

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 18.07. 2013 11:32 »
My clutch plates get 'glued' together; I've just had to strip the clutch again and seperate the plates with a screwdriver.

I have the plunger type six spring clutch with a domed cover;  the clutch is dry inside that. However, my clutch bits have been laying around in my garage for many years. I washed them in petrol while restoring the bike. I wonder if some jollop is coming out of the lining material when hot and then setting.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline chaz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 18.07. 2013 12:10 »
Oil wont "hold" the clutch enough to stop you selecting a gear. Did you free the clutch off with the kickstart after it's lay up?

only three kicks and it started up but have probably pulled the lever in a few times since last started
allways willing to learn
United Kingdom

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #7 on: 18.07. 2013 12:26 »
Pulling the lever won't necessarily free a block of stuck clutch plates, all it's doing is releasing the pressure on them.

Greybeard, I have heard of the friction material bonding "glue" doing just that on the dry clutches.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 18.07. 2013 13:16 »
Chaz, just try this easy way to gauge what the clutch is doing . Without the engine going stick in 1st or second disengage clutch and press down on kickstarter. Has you swing her over initially there may be some resistance caused by oil/ plates and it should free off ,you'll feel the degree of drag and if it gets easier should be okay if not readjust the clutch by a combination of cable adjusters  and/or pushrod adjustment, don't forget a tad of free play in the cable ,that should sort it or identify the problem, regards BobH 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom