Author Topic: New member needing help  (Read 4104 times)

JDFitz

New member needing help
« on: 06.12. 2008 18:24 »
Hello everybody. New member from Louisiana, USA. I have, according to the frame and engine numbers, what used to be a 1956 Road Rocket. By "used to be" I mean that I have a frame with an engine, transmission, swing arm and rear wheel/brake attached. Sorry, no pictures yet. This will not be a restoration. I have used the search function (I've been lurking here for a while) and haven't found what I was looking for. I need a front end for my bike and wondering if any Japanese front ends could fit my frame, such as an XS650, CB750, ect... I have not been able to very much info on BSA A10s online other than mostly restoration related info, so hopefully someone here will be able to help me along with my project. Thanks.

Richard

Re: New member needing help
« Reply #1 on: 06.12. 2008 19:18 »
Hi JD Fitz
Glad to hear from you
As to your question   anything is possible
I would think that if you measure the steering head on the BSA frame and then find a front end from another bike with a shaft from the lower yolk to the top yolk that is long enough then bushes could be made to fit the bearings.
even then a new steering head shaft could be made and stepped up (most Japanese ones i think are smaller diameter than the BSa)and then grafted onto the bottom yolk.
I hope this makes some sense, as in my head I know what I mean but it is difficult to explain.
Look for a local engineering company or individual and I am sure it will be an easy project.
Richard

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 06.12. 2008 23:06 »
No offense, JD, but why not put it up for sale on this forum, give it a decent home, and go buy an oriental bike instead of bodging this RR?
David
David
'57 Spitfire

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.12. 2008 01:08 »
JD,

I'm not exactly sure why you want or need to go Japanese with a front end. I think it is reasonable to assume that the ride could be better with modern Japanese engineering, but I cannot say that I know that to be true. I believe there are other aftermarket front-end adaptations for A10's, but I could not locate one immediately. Ceriani comes to mind (though I don't know if they still make one for A10s). If it is just parts or inexpensive you are looking for, I think you could do an A10 front end fairly cheaply from parts bought on ebay or from other sources.

With no offense to David, whose expertise I respect and, in a couple of circumstaces, have followed, not every bike can, must or should be wholly original. I think I have rightly used my own bike ( http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=166.0 ) as an example of a respectable A10 that does not closely resemble its original model. There is some question as to at what point does non-stock become a "bodge job." Is it the tiniest infraction with respect to decals or is it the use of a Japanese front end? We could drive ourselves crazy with such questions of quality, as one author and motorcycle enthusiast, Robert Persig (Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance ) did to the point of requiring shock therapy. 

Regards,

Richard L.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #4 on: 07.12. 2008 11:25 »
Although I disagree with fitting other makes and alien parts to bikes, I have to accept that if one wants to do that then they are quite entitled to do so. However I disagree strongly to having a bike machined to the point where the next owner cannot refit an original part again if he should want to. It's at this stage then I'd have to agree with David and ask JD (or anyone else for that matter) if he had thought of purchasing a much more modern bike.

By the way... Good of you to join us JD, Keep with us we might even be able to puesuade you to change your mind yet...  *smile*

[I must get out to replace those hex bolts on the primary case with the 'proper' cheese head types!]  ;D
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

JDFitz

« Reply #5 on: 07.12. 2008 16:48 »
Thanks for the info folks.  What I am planning to do with this bike is make somewhat of a cafe/street tracker style bike. I have every intention of putting a lot of miles on this thing once I finish it. The reason for wanting a Japanese or maybe HD front end is because they are much more common around here. British stuff is as rare as chicken's lips in these parts, hence much more expensive IF you could find some parts. If I could pick up an A10 front end cheap enough, I'll probably use that. At least I've decided not to use an XS650 engine for this build. As far as an oriental bike, I have an '08 suzuki GSXF 650 which I commute on. Its a great bike, but can't even come close to the coolness of an old BSA. 

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 07.12. 2008 17:30 »
JD,

If you don't already have one, you need a parts book for your year and model bike, regardless, I think, if you plan a custom bike or not. British Only or Domiracer should be able to sell you one of these at a reasonable cost. The lack of parts in LA should not present a problem, if you are willing to do some searching online and pay some shipping.  There are plenty of stock original and replica front-end parts out there. I have owned my
A10 since '73, crashed in '79 and started rebuild in '03. As I often tell people, the rebuild would have been near impossible in the '80s or early '90s, but there are so many online sources now that it is not that much of a problem. Below are just a few of the links you might want to look at. The first three are in Europe and will take you directly to their fork parts page.  The second four are in the U.S. and will take you to the home page of each company. I believe that others on this forum will be more than happy to steer you to other good parts sources, especially if they think they can convince you to go with an A10 front end.

Sorry, but I must go now, as I believe I here my chicken whistling.

Richard L.

http://www.basmotor.se/eng/index.html
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/shop/pi-1639534984.htm?categoryId=590
http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=9&suchtext=fork
www.domiracer.com
www.britishonly.com
www.britcycle.com
www.klempfs.com

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #7 on: 07.12. 2008 17:40 »
... and consider the day when you sell it... An original front end may well hold a better selling price for you than a Japanese front, not matter how good the handling is.

Just my tuppence worth...  *smile*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 07.12. 2008 18:02 »
I put a Honda front end on my B31 and it was good fun winding up the purists. I put the BSA bits back on before I sold the bike. The brakes fitted to our bikes were adequate in their era since nobody else had good brakes. These days you are likely to be behind a hot hatch with 8 pot calipers or whatever and nearly everyone else on the road can out-brake an old BSA.I therefore have no argument with those riders who modernise parts of the bike concerned with safety.

JDFitz

« Reply #9 on: 07.12. 2008 20:04 »
Thanks for the links manosound. They should be helpful with this project. I have already ordered a Haynes repair manual and will be ordering others as well. I have no plans on selling this bike. I also have no plans on chopping up the frame or making any mods that could not be easily converted back to stock. Upgrades for safety, reliability, good handling, and reliability are top priority. Remember, this thing was abandoned in the woods, with small trees growing around it and vines through it. Had it been a nice original, I doubt I'd consider anything but a factory original resto to it. Since its not in great original condition, I have the opportunity to build it to fit my preferences. Hopefully, there will be at least one more BSA on the road in the future.
BTW, does anybody here read The Horse magazine? The Nov. issue has a really cool '58 A10, a Norton cafe and Triumph street tracker in it. Here's a link..

http://www.thehorsemag.com/

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 09.12. 2008 12:35 »

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #11 on: 11.12. 2008 17:18 »
I'm not a thread counter, and Ive got nothing against Safety modifications, but I tend to agree with David, what makes a bike a BSA is that its a BSA in its entirety, with all the character [and faults] that comes with a BSA and if you stick a Japanese front end on it, it wont be a BSA.

I would say to the Gentleman, don't take the easy option, do your best to find a BSA front end and use that and you will love it. Failing that, I'll buy a 250 honda off ebay and swap you for it.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

JDFitz

« Reply #12 on: 11.12. 2008 17:58 »
I bought a set of triple trees for an A10 off Ebay a couple of days ago. Those Ceriani forks look sweet, the price on those is a bit much for me. I understand those who wish to keep their bike as original as possible, but remember, I'm not going for a stock restoration. A10Boy, I have no desire to have a Honda 250 but thanks all the same A10Boy.

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 11.12. 2008 19:45 »
sweet. glad you found the forks!  I'm far from a purist, but I do appreciate a custom being left unmolested so someone in the future can put all the right bits on it, even if you can't find them or afford them now.  its fun to mess with things, and if it can be reversed and gets a bike back on the road, I say go for it.

now the big thing is you gotta get some pictures up!! :-)
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #14 on: 12.12. 2008 16:46 »
JD, you said it had been abandoned in the woods.

That is an interesting story, did you just find it, or are they your woods. Do you know when / who / how it was abandoned, what sort of condition is it in ? I can imagine a bike being out in the woods for a long time would be in real bad condition. Can you tell us anymore about it, does the engine turn over etc etc ?

Regards
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300