Author Topic: lookin for advice  (Read 903 times)

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
lookin for advice
« on: 04.08. 2013 00:48 »

I am parting together a 1951 650...and all is going great..with the help and advice from this group...

and ..back lookin for more advice,....

the carburettor.... I have a bunch of ....monos. conc,s and a couple of brass 289,s..sidebowls..the question...I just look the looks of the brass bodies..
will the early brass body carbs work for me...???  I don't really have any complete crabs..just bodies.....jet blocks..and assorted bits that may be amal ...or singer sewing machine parts...maybe fishing reel parts...???

I can bore the body back to round easy enough..either sleeve and buy or turn a new slide.....so far easy peasy...
the jet blocks?? anything I should be looking for??? does the bowl have any identifying features..or does it matter

the bike has to be able to do big city traffic... in 35 to 40c temps..without getting me run over...

the main question...will rebuilding the early sidebowl give me    a reasonably good running bike...or am I wasting time that could be put to getting a conc or mono...all shined up???

aaaaaaand after all that.....any way to identify the carb parts that would be relevant to assembling a carb suitable for a gold flash...

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: lookin for advice
« Reply #1 on: 04.08. 2013 01:38 »
Well, Shu, there are lot of questions there and I'm not the one to answer technical carburetor questions, but I'm OK with research. Look here: http://amalcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/spares/id/4750/

Richard L.

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
Re: lookin for advice
« Reply #2 on: 04.08. 2013 13:09 »
Richard..the site is great...looks like a quick exchange of useless cash for useful metal...

another look at my prize...its a 276/014.62..whatever that means

it has a 1 inch bore ...a 1 3/16 slide...which means I can easily bore to 1 1/16...i think... I have some 1 1/16  jet blocks...

its a brass body..not sure if its amal...folklore has it that a lot of bodys were cast up here in oz?? for what reason??

the most important question is whats the difference between a 276 and a mono...as far as performance and more importanaty..is the older carb worth the extra work??