Author Topic: A7 Star Twin Petrol line  (Read 2462 times)

Offline jfligg

• Valued Contributor
A7 Star Twin Petrol line
« on: 09.12. 2008 01:57 »
Hello fellow Star Twin Guys
  Does anyone have a picture or even better a source of were I can get a set of fuel lines for my Star twin.  I am switching from a single carb to twin carbts.  Thanks in advance Jeff

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: A7 Star Twin Petrol line
« Reply #1 on: 09.12. 2008 03:28 »
This is a photo I came across while doing research for mine. I have no idea if this is original or not. I cant see any reason why you couldnt feed each carby from its own tap on each side which is probably what I will do.

Offline flatdeck

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 09.12. 2008 03:59 »
Hi Jeff,
I just replaced the lines on mine with the new black flexible fuel line (viton???). I think any bike repair shop should be able to help you put with that  .... or have I missed the real question here?
Dave
Dave
NZBSAOC
1949 A7 Star Twin
Kent, U.K. then Auckland, N.Z.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #3 on: 09.12. 2008 09:40 »
Not sure what sort of fuel lines your hoping to get Jeff. I shall probably go the copper pipe way like my single carb has at the moment it looks original and always looks nice when polished. This could be rather fiddly and I'd think that rubber pipes would be so much easier to fit, but hey... Bit of time and patience eh!

My latest news is that I have just had my magneto back from a full overhaul and rewind (soooo much better) I'm now on the lookout for a right side carb to match the left one, the carb fitted in the photo is a 276 DP/1A 15/16th bore, I've just got to get a couple of drip trays and cable links and then I should be ready to fit. Keep us posted on how you get on!

Brian... An interesting idea of running a fuel line from each side of tank direct to carb, the only snag is what happens when your low on petrol? Obviously at some stage one side will stop running, I'm wondering if it would be okay to keep the bike going on one cylinder untill next petrol/gas station?

Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline jfligg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 09.12. 2008 12:57 »
Hi Guys
  I was looking for a source of the steel fuel lines like the ones in Brians picture.  I will try C and D Autos later.  Thanks Jeff

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 10.12. 2008 08:59 »

Brian... An interesting idea of running a fuel line from each side of tank direct to carb, the only snag is what happens when your low on petrol? Obviously at some stage one side will stop running, I'm wondering if it would be okay to keep the bike going on one cylinder untill next petrol/gas station?

You would use the time honoured trick of leaning the bike over to slosh some petrol to the other side of the tank.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 11.12. 2008 20:08 »
I wonder why BSA in there wisdom did not fit a tap to the front of the tank.
Anyone who has gone down a steep hill with a quarter tank will no why *red*

All the best- Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco