Author Topic: it's raining milk ???  (Read 613 times)

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
it's raining milk ???
« on: 12.08. 2013 16:58 »
Just been talking over the weekend with my old riding mate Bruce and we recalled the following mad event that happened on one of our trips and I hope you don't mind my sharing it with you all. Back in our misspent youth we ,that is a group of 5 mates used to terror..er visit a little village in the west riding of yorkshire ,actually we were quite well liked especially by the young ladies which led to our banishment outside the village to a common where we camped. On this particular trip I had '56 s/arm a10 with sidecar chassis and as bruces bike was buggered at the time he came as passenger, picture the luxuious seating arrangement , a board fitted to the chassis and an morris oxford front seat nailed to it, very comfortable!! This particular Sunday after a very good night we needed milk so me and Bruce voluntereed quickly dropping going as quickly as poss we were in the village and got 2x 2 pint cartons of milk via the machine and set of in at a very quick pace to the site ,on the way passing over a humpbacked bridge at a fair rate and drifting round the following lefthander from the corner of my left eye I noticed  something flying upwards ,in a split second I'd turned to see bruces feet coming up through an arm up to stop'em and slammed the front brake on which had the effect of shooting back him into his starting start position .
I was really worried but Bruce was literally peeing himself with laughter ,couldn't speak but pointed to a field gate with a tractor stopped between the posts ,a very surprised and wet farmer was frantically looking for something/body to blame or perhaps a flying cow as he was covered in milk; our milk  ? As bruce prescribed a perfect ark he'd let go off the milk they'd flown up just like mortars and struck the posts either side of the farmer just coming through the gate ,they'ed hit so hard when we looked later , much later, we couldn't find any sign of the cartons , fortunately no harm done ,what did we do ,well went back for more milk of course and drove back more slowly and enjoyed our tea ,when we could stop laughing, regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: it's raining milk ???
« Reply #1 on: 13.08. 2013 04:30 »
A funny story, but let me get this right. By deduction, had you both flown over the handlebars, it would be raining men?

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 13.08. 2013 09:58 »
A funny story, but let me get this right. By deduction, had you both flown over the handlebars, it would be raining men?

Richard L.

No Richard, you're confusing with this spice woman song called "It's Raining Men, Hallelujah"*smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 13.08. 2013 11:27 »
Hi Richard, how the hell Bruce DIDN'T get flung out is a mystery to us still to this day, had what you suggested happened it would have been raining very large men ,bruce was about 18 Stone then and I was about 14 . That bike was sooooooooooo lucky for us ,about 6 hours later returning home going round a bend a car suddenly stopped dead i pulled the brake on and "ping "the cable snapped with the rear locked ,tyre screeching we bounced off the back of the Moggy minor ,initial glance was that no damage done until Bruce starting shouting " I've lost my foot"  in desperation 3 of us lifted the back of the car of is leg only to find that fitted with rubber mudguards his foot had slip under it and the car had settled down onto the leg ,if it had been metal I shudder to imagine what we'd have found but with no damage done, a relieved car driver beat a hasty retreat whilst Bruce sat there looking at his foot like he'd been reunited with a long lost friend and we finally arrived home about half an hour later ready to repeat the fiasco in 2 weeks time BobH. 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 13.08. 2013 18:34 »
Morris,

I was, indeed, jokingly referring to that song.

Bob,

I have, indeed, been flung over the bars and the car for about thirty feet when the car turn left in front of me in 1979. The bike you see today is the same bike, with restoration undertaken 24 years later starting in 2003.

Richard
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 13.08. 2013 18:51 »
shamefaced I admit to coming off not years ago but  Saturday just gone, didn't go over the bars but flew alongside and passed them.
This on my neighbours DT125, he bought it about a month ago and has been working on it since, finally got it running so we took it across the road into a stubble field, my turn came so off I went up through the gears and approaching the corner of the field I decided to change down a few ( the field strewn with short straw ), and yes I did remember the gears were on the other side, changed down successfully but still going a bit fast I thought, so a little gentle breaking, this is where I forgot right and left, plunged the gear lever straight down to bottom, rear wheel stepped out as they say, I flew off passing the bike and into the stubble - apart from multiple small punctures from the straw stubble nothing hurt but my pride.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco