Author Topic: 1959 BSA Super Rocket Oil Change  (Read 4158 times)

Offline TonUpTrav

• Active
1959 BSA Super Rocket Oil Change
« on: 10.08. 2013 02:55 »
I recently purchased a 1959 Super Rocket. I'm wanting to change the oil this weekend.  Are there any good resources on the Internet to find the proper method for oil change for a bike like this?  How much oil does this year take, filter locations, etc.

Thanks for the help,
Travis

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
Re: 1959 BSA Super Rocket Oil Change
« Reply #1 on: 10.08. 2013 08:08 »
Just thought I'd put in my tuppence worth Travis before others jump in with oil change info.....since you've just bought this bike it is essential that you include the removal of the oil tank and clean out the old oil in the tank AND any gunge that may/will have settled at the bottom of the tank. This isn't something you should necessarily do at each oil change but if I were you I'd start ownership with the bike knowing you've done this since it is often neglected by owners and draining the oil tank by just removing the filter/gauze assembly at the front bottom of the tank doesn't drain the accumulated gunge at the bottom of the tank which can affect the oil flow to the engine.

Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 10.08. 2013 08:45 »
G'day TTT.
Wise words Alan. Also the sump plate strainer. G/box and primary too.
All service info here  http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=1475.0
Cheers.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 10.08. 2013 09:49 »
Hi Travis
Sound advice on cleaning the oil tank, regarding oil capacity its 5.1/2 pints, I would recommend a "Classic" type specification oil and not the modern oils. Your choice on mono or multi grade, a lot depends on your location and condition of the engine. I would avoid the use of engine flushing solutions.
The A10 is a dry sump system and is operated by a double gear pump retained in the timing cover, there is a wire mesh filter in the oil tank and another in the sump plate drain, both should be cleaned.
Many owners fit additional filtration in the form of ."Inline" return line filters of the cartridge type.
Enjoy your A10
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline TonUpTrav

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 10.08. 2013 12:28 »
Thank you for all the useful information guys!  I do appreciate it!

Offline DazSeaton

• Nottingham, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 BitSA Super Rocket
« Reply #5 on: 17.03. 2018 17:22 »
Just thought I'd put in my tuppence worth Travis before others jump in with oil change info.....since you've just bought this bike it is essential that you include the removal of the oil tank and clean out the old oil in the tank AND any gunge that may/will have settled at the bottom of the tank. This isn't something you should necessarily do at each oil change but if I were you I'd start ownership with the bike knowing you've done this since it is often neglected by owners and draining the oil tank by just removing the filter/gauze assembly at the front bottom of the tank doesn't drain the accumulated gunge at the bottom of the tank which can affect the oil flow to the engine.

good advice thanks. bottom of tank was full of sludge. gave it a good rinse out with petrol. is using petrol a good idea?
If you don't start, I'm going to give you a damn good thrashing!!!

1959 BSA Super Rocket 650
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 SA

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #6 on: 17.03. 2018 18:08 »
Good enough. At each oil change, I use a big syringe with a bit of tube on the end to extract the residue of oil from the bottom of the oil tank. A surprising amount lurks there.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.03. 2018 20:39 »
Travis (I assume),

Now that Muskrat has you (rightly) taking off the bottom sump plate to clean the strainer, examine what lies on top of it and, I recommend,  report back here before reassembly. You'll want to know what kind of metal bits lie there, if any. We'll assume you have a stock sump plate, so a lot of oil will probably spill out when you remove it. Regardless of giving your hands an oil bath, try to keep the plate level as you remove it so that any telltale bits don't wash out of view. The main thing you'll be looking for is shards of shim material used between the drive-side main bearing and the crank web.  If your sump plate is indeed stock, consider replacing it with one from SRM that includes a drain plug.

Richard L.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 17.03. 2018 23:23 »
The original post is four and a half years old. I doubt TonUpTrav has been waiting all this time to get all our replies.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 17.03. 2018 23:45 »
But goes to show really old posts are helping others. Worth a bump.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 18.03. 2018 13:51 »
Unfortunately, date is not shown in the mobile version except in the list of posts under the reply box, and that list is limited.

Richard L.

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 18.03. 2018 18:21 »
The original post is four and a half years old. I doubt TonUpTrav has been waiting all this time to get all our replies.

Then he really needs to get that oil changed ASAP!   *eek*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 18.03. 2018 21:10 »

I put this in the wrong thread *bash, but now moved here;

Unless others are different to mine, there's also about 70ml trapped in the oil-pump cavity that can only drain by removing the cover- unless you do what I did and drill a hole in the bottom rear screw boss (as in pic). I get the front wheel up and wedge the centre stand so it leans the bike a bit to the left and back (need a custom something to catch the oil without running over the header pipe though). I also poke a wire in the scavenge pipe to hold the ball away so it drains too.

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia