Author Topic: bloody DVLA !  (Read 506 times)

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Best Friend
bloody DVLA !
« on: 07.09. 2013 10:45 »
hi everyone,
                  after a slow 2 year restoration finally got my a7 an mot cert,got insurance and being a 1961 bike just needed a tax disk that said "nil" for the cost of tax,easy i thought!.............................

1.. went to local post office to get a tax disk
2..computer system said i had no mot (mot passed one hour before)
3..showed counter assistant my mot cert ,who then accepted i had one
4..wanted some thing like £47 for tax!
5..showed v5 with 1961 date,but the computer still said i had to pay
6..assistant thought it was due to "bicycle"tax class insted of "historic" class
7..tried to change class on his computer,but could only change to "disabled "
8..long line of people behind me in the post office
9..assistant suggested i ring DVLA
10..went home and rang DVLA who said post office could change class!!!!
11..i explained they could not,the DVLA then said i was correct and needed to take the v5 that they issue to local DVLA office
to change class,as they can not do this on the phone or online
12..the DVLA also said i did not need an mot because the bike was pre 1963???
13..local DVLA closed at the weekends

so having full insurance and mot still can not legally ride with out showing a tax disk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh ,the joy of classic bikes ,but having had the bike for 20 odd years without riding it (due to its rust and condition before restoration) i guess an other week or so won`t matter

Rob *sad2*
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Online Ted_Flash

• A's Best Friend
Re: bloody DVLA !
« Reply #1 on: 07.09. 2013 11:57 »
Rob,

Though an initial MOT for a rebuilt bike is a good idea, the exemption is for manufacture or registration pre 1st Jan 1960 (not 1963).  It may be worth you double checking that your bike wasn't just registered after 1.1.1960 - it may have been unsold in a showroom but made in 1959.

In case you do need a form to confirm with the Post Office counter clerk, its here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/222585/dg_065277.pdf
Ted Wilkinson, Ramsbottom, Lancashire
1950 Golden Flash

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 07.09. 2013 11:58 »
Hi Rob,

To possibly save you a wasted journey give your local DVLA Office a ring before you trail over there and explain what you want.  But as you already have the V5 for the bike that proves it's age there shouldn't be a problem.

Beezageezauk.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.09. 2013 12:54 »
...but having had the bike for 20 odd years without riding it (due to its rust and condition before restoration) i guess an other week or so won`t matter

Oh, I don't know. I thin it makes it harder.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 07.09. 2013 13:25 »
I had the same with my Velo. At the time I just paid for the disc then claimed a refund. At least it meant I was on the road straight away. ;)

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 07.09. 2013 15:30 »
Rob,

Though an initial MOT for a rebuilt bike is a good idea, the exemption is for manufacture or registration pre 1st Jan 1960 (not 1963).  It may be worth you double checking that your bike wasn't just registered after 1.1.1960 - it may have been unsold in a showroom but made in 1959.

In case you do need a form to confirm with the Post Office counter clerk, its here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/222585/dg_065277.pdf

thanks for the link ,but i did think is was pre 1960 bikes were not required to have an mot as you rightly say,it was just the woman on the other end of the phone at the DVLA who confused me by her lack of knowledge on the subject i had rang about.and i guess my call was at premium phone rate too!
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80