Author Topic: K2f mag??  (Read 2040 times)

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
K2f mag??
« on: 04.10. 2013 08:48 »
Hi, can anybody explain the workings of the above magneto i know that it does generate its own current seperate from the other electrics i purchased a manual mag from a well known jumble and in working order but it is the direction that the mag runs in IE clockwise/anticlockwise ??that i am a bit lost and the auto/adv, i have the assembly for a auto/adv that came with the rest of the bit and pieces with another mag that does not work is there a difference between these components the AUTO/ADV timing piece? and can i use this with the manual mag?
                       appologies for not being to clear ?????

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: K2f mag??
« Reply #1 on: 04.10. 2013 10:34 »
A few good experts on this forum who are very helpful, I'm far from an expert but can answer a couple of your questions until more knowing members comment.

Rotation - this is as viewed from the driven end ( the end with  A/R unit on it) and if it's on an A7/10 it's anti clockwise and should be marked as such on the plate at the drive end.
be aware that for A7/10 s a bit of the shoulder of the body is relieved to accommodate the crankcase, compare the one you bought with your original.

The Auto advance unit can be used with a manual magneto if you lock it up so it can't move (weld?), but solid pinions are available and not too extremely costly (better option I reckon)

most common faults I think are breakdown of the insulation in the windings, and capacitor goes duff, both these are the cause of non starting when warm (will start ok cold), loss of magnetism (standing unused for years), dirty slip ring due to long use or more likely these days soft brushes in the pickups and now we here there are faulty pickups on the market as well.

and the points need to be kept clean and adjusted to correct gap.

all the best with it - Bill

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 04.10. 2013 12:27 »
As Bill says. Here's a picture (A10 mag), see the arrow > counterclock seen from drive side (= clockwise seen from points side).

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.10. 2013 19:23 »
When you buy any magneto, you might as well budget for a rewind.

You can use an auto advance and just leave the manual timing fully advanced.

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
Understanding the Mag ????
« Reply #4 on: 05.10. 2013 08:04 »
Hi,thanks to everyone for there input re: the above item ? it does appear that i may have the wrong mag ie: the rotation, i was just wondering if it is possible to change the rotation by altering the points. would anyone know???
                         These things happen when you get hold of a A10 frame and nothing else ! urgh!!

adm edit: topics merged

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Understanding the Mag ????
« Reply #5 on: 05.10. 2013 08:54 »
I'm not sure if it makes any difference to the windings which way they turn , not sure about the wiring of the capacitor newer ones might be polarity sensitive, but rotation will matter to the cam ring and maybe the slip ring.
some new points are made so they do both rotations, but there again there are two types about these days brass plate and steel plate and you need a centre bolt to match.

You need ( and will probably get) advice from an expert here, but I'm not sure your best plan might be to find out what bike your maggie was intended for and consider selling or swapping.
Sparkier brains may comment  *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline KenF

• Moving Up
Re: Understanding the Mag ????
« Reply #6 on: 05.10. 2013 13:46 »
Hi,thanks to everyone for there input re: the above item ? it does appear that i may have the wrong mag ie: the rotation, i was just wondering if it is possible to change the rotation by altering the points. would anyone know???
                         These things happen when you get hold of a A10 frame and nothing else ! urgh!!
If the K2F is in fact clockwise at the drive end, Michael, then to change it to anti-clockwise, you would need to:
  • change the contact breaker assembly, or parts of it
  • change the cam ring (or at least re-notch it to change the internal timing of the magneto)
  • change the slip ring, and
  • change the ID tag, if you wanted, to avoid confusion.

There's no need to change the windings, condenser or polarity of the magnet.

But before doing any of that, are you really sure it is in fact currently a clockwise K2F. They're not very common. Some may have been retro fitted to Oilfield twins, and the racing version was standard on some Dougys.

If it's anti-clockwise, it will look like this:
or this

Early brass CB assembly on the left. Later steel CB assembly on the right. (Ignore the green EasyCap condensers thingies, and odd screw in the right hand pic.)

On the other hand, if clockwise, it'll be a mirror image.

So, are you sure it's clockwise?

Cheers,

Ken. http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
K2f Magneto
« Reply #7 on: 06.10. 2013 15:04 »
Hi,everyone iv,e checked my mag and it does run in a clockwise direction? thanks to all who helped me with this problem and thanks to to person who supplied the pics;i suppose as one member has said it may well want a rebuild and i will do this when the time is right Has any one fitted the electronic ign too there bike and if so what are the pros and cons.
                                            thanks.

adm edit: topics merged. No need to start a new topic for every reply.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: K2f Magneto
« Reply #8 on: 06.10. 2013 16:30 »
A good magneto gives happier riding than electronic ignition powered by a Lucas dynamo.