Author Topic: Oil supply/lube oil ????  (Read 677 times)

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
Oil supply/lube oil ????
« on: 19.10. 2013 16:16 »
Hi,just want to know, you know when you scratch around looking at things ive have noticed oil coming from behind the oil pump, the casket i renewed, it seems to be coming from the bottom right hand drilling/oilway,the supply seems to be coming from the oil tank i dont really want to let it go on,as its just that the bike will stand for more than it will be used ? i am thinking of the timing side filling up with oil??????. is this right ???
                                                               thanks.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Oil supply/lube oil ????
« Reply #1 on: 19.10. 2013 19:48 »
G'day Michael.
Oh no, looks like a motor rebuild over winter. Just kidding mate.
If you mean that when you take the timing cover off there is 100ml or so of oil comes out. This is normal, the timing chest is connected to the crankcase, oil builds to about level with the bottom of the pump then drains back into the crankcase. If you remove the pump there will be oil as you described, no worries, the check valve/anti wet sump valve is down stream of the pump to stop it (or try to).
If on the other hand, you clean away all the oil from around the oil pump and see it weeping I would investigate further.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7