Author Topic: SRM Costs  (Read 7090 times)

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
Re: SRM Costs
« Reply #15 on: 22.09. 2013 17:17 »
Hi Brucie,

I agree with what Julian says in his first post above.

SRM will give the motor an autopsy and give you a fully priced up schedule of work required for about £150 and then you will know the facts and options available in much detail.

The problem you will then have is deciding what to do or how far to go.

My crank was OK on journals but needed spline repairs and I decided to get SRM to crack test and balance it.

The next dilemma is do you re-use 50 year old con rods on your refurbed crank or put new ones in at £300 a pop.

Then comes the end feed versus staying with the bush but costs of bush to replace properly line ream etc you might as well do the conversion as its not a lot more and it runs smoother and no shimming up of the crank in future, more oil where its needed.

Good luck with it whatever you do but a professionally rebuilt motor will be worth it wherever you go.
Regards

Stuart

59 SR

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 23.09. 2013 13:51 »
When my motor seized just 250 miles after a major rebuild, in desperation I took the bike to Roger at Cake Street (Suffolk).  He found a catalogue of woe within and fixed the whole thing including pulling the motor in and out of the bike for £1k. Though admittedly this didn't involve a rebore or new pistons (though he did give a light hone), nor a crank grind.

I've only managed around 2500 miles in the couple of years since but she's running like a goodun.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
« Reply #17 on: 23.09. 2013 19:27 »
I think SRM would be similar money for a  motor out/in operation and straight forward labour for rebuild.

Its the new parts, up-grade options and engineering services that costs the money but you pay your money and take your choice.

Stuart

59 SR

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #18 on: 16.10. 2013 05:10 »
Hi Brucie64, I have had 2 A10 motors done by SRM, I live in California, no needless to say it was even more pricey. One motor was done in '96 and the other in 2001, I completely voluntarily, bought into the idea that I had to have it done. I won't go into the details of various issues I later had with SRM, but as hindsight is 20/20, I wouldn't do it again. However this is because, since the 1st motor done in '96, has done 11,000 miles, I don't ride enough miles to have warranted the conversion, especially as I change oil about every 400miles. So if you just ride on weekends and sunny days, a standard careful, rebuild, using a reputable machinist and quality parts, is perfectly adequate, and if done correctly and the oil is changed regularly, you should get 50,000+ . I do however suscribe to some of the newer improvements to ignition, and carbs.
Good luck with your decision.

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #19 on: 16.10. 2013 06:58 »
I have an A10 bottom end/barrels with T & L at the moment.  Derrick is always a pleasure to deal with.  He has been very clear on what needs doing and, more importantly, what does not.  We all know that predicting exactly how repairs to 50 year old parts will go is difficult, which makes good communication so important.
T & L don't offer the timing side conversion, or didn't when I asked. Perhaps they're conscious of the pampered, limited mileage lives that many of our machines lead, and just don't see the need.
I'm looking forward to comparing Derrick's crank balance with a couple of others.
More news to come... as and when.

Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS