Author Topic: breakdown cover  (Read 683 times)

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Best Friend
breakdown cover
« on: 16.09. 2013 17:22 »
hi,just got my bike all legal and ready to ride (if the the bloody rain stops) but i`ve only ever rode it to mot garage since i have restored it.so just for a piece of mind i was thinking of getting some breakdown cover,do rac aa ect cover old bikes? any suggestions welcome

cheers rob

ps not sure if i have post pic of my bike before or not 
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline Ethelred

• A's Best Friend
  • Northants, UK
Re: breakdown cover
« Reply #1 on: 16.09. 2013 19:40 »
Green Flag are cheaper than AA or RAC and in my experience of breaking down in all sorts of cars and bikes, they've been very good.
'59 A10

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.09. 2013 19:46 »
usually or often comes with your insurance Rob
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.09. 2013 20:30 »
I took out AA cover for the bike. It was a bit annoying because I already had taken out the AA vehicle cover option where any driver of the car is covered but of course only that vehicle is covered! For the bike I am covered for any vehicle that I'm using including the car! *pull hair out*

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 17.09. 2013 12:07 »
Hi Rob, I'd check your bike policy it is pretty normal for classic bike pols to include rescue/recovery benefits. I've insured with footman james ,carol nash and at present Linton (??) just realised forgotten the co but in Leyland/Chorley area of Lancs and all are in classic bike mags. All the prev offer excellent service but I have found this last co really competitive and have used the rescue service twice over a 3yr period ,both times punctures and they were there within an hour and returned the bike and me in excellent manner to home. I'm in insurance sales so take notice of customer service very closely and so far not been disappointed . No connection by the way and I don't sell car or bike insurance but this cover is really important particularly if you are thinking of venturing far afield or abroad, regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #5 on: 17.09. 2013 13:24 »
hi, thanks for all the info.checked my insurance paper work,and looks like no break down cover (KGM via B.Portwood insurance brokers) but at £79.50 fully comp for the year i would not have expected break down cover.But never been insured for 25+ years due to having a company car i was unaware you could get both accident and break down on one policy.
autonational  do a break down policy for £49.50 .i think next year i will look for a combined policy..the gift of hind sight !

rob
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 17.09. 2013 13:39 »
Rob, Just another thought how about your current account, no not being nosey , just natwest and I think Lloyds cover your car ( mine covers my car) could it cover a bike? you never know, also my policy costs this year approx £95 and that inc an element of interest 'cos I pay mthly so £49 on top seems abit expensive regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.09. 2013 16:03 »
Peter James £85  for two bikes fully comp for twelve months includes Uk and European breakdown
Doesn't cover me riding someones else s bike but seeing as I struggle to find time to ride my own that's not a problem

Homestart available for extra premium - now there have been times in the past  when that would have been something else - picture an AA/RAC  type kicking a bike over, sweat flying in all directions  *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #8 on: 17.09. 2013 18:59 »
thanks bill ,
              will try them when i need to renew my insurance,looks quite a good price.But like i said earlier i never knew about a combined policy,been a long time since i had to buy my own insurance.

rob