Author Topic: Any Idea what this is ?  (Read 1900 times)

Offline pato08

• A's Good Friend
  • A Work In Progress
Any Idea what this is ?
« on: 18.09. 2013 09:36 »
Hi Guys, anyone have any idea what this might be for ? it welded onto rear brake.
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Any Idea what this is ?
« Reply #1 on: 18.09. 2013 10:09 »
Wild guess
could it be there to mate up with a knurled adjuster for the rear brake, if in the exact right place it would contact the knurls (new word?) on the adjuster and prevent it turning out or in without the owners knowledge

I did say wild geuss
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 18.09. 2013 10:26 »
But the knurled adjuster is on the other side of the arm.
It's there to divert cooling air to the pivot. *bright idea*
Might have been a part of a bodgy brake light assembly.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 18.09. 2013 10:45 »
It's there to divert cooling air to the pivot.

lol+

Or maybe, it must be part of a foot brake system for the pillion passenger, to be used when he\she is getting too scared  ;)

We should make a topic with pictures of the more or less strange modifications or 'enhancements' done by previous owners.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 18.09. 2013 11:13 »
I'd also go with brake light switch, or maybe it was to allow the fitting of return-spring that was of the wrong dimensions .

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 18.09. 2013 13:04 »
I guess that's from a plunger, so I'm not really sure of the working geometry, but I would guess, either, an alternate catch for the return spring (why, I can't say), or, a grip to manipulate the arm to ease pressure on the knurled adjuster while trying to make an adjustment.

Richard L.

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 18.09. 2013 17:43 »
Hi Pato08,

Haven't a clue what it's for, but I'm always interested in you're rebuild progress as mines also one of those really rare and collectable (expensive) '57 plungers - probably came off the production line together!

Best of luck
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 18.09. 2013 18:07 »
I think it's a slightly mad attempt at a rear set brake pedal.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 19.09. 2013 05:27 »
I love this head scratcher. Went looking at plunger rear brake setups to understand it a bit better. In the picture, the actuating arm seems to be 180 deg out of position. For the appendage to be part of a rear-set brake it would have to be the remains after the pedal portion, which wrapped around the spindle anticlcokwise, broke off. Hard for the likes of me to imagine. On the other hand, it would have been so inefficient that it would, indeed, have been certain to break off.

As for an alternate spring anchor point, I learned that plungers have their return springs at the pedal. (Ah,but everyone else already knew this.) Is it possible that the pedal return spring is not effective enough and some earlier owner saw this as a way to stretch a second spring out to some other anchor, maybe the rear mudguard stay.

Hell, I obviously don't know what it's for, but the challenge of accidentally hitting on something that finds consensus is a lot of fun.

Richard L.

Online Ted_Flash

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 19.09. 2013 07:03 »
How about - the remains of a "handbrake" arrangement (previous owner lived on a steep hill) - though why the kerb or a brick wouldn't be enough I can't say?
Ted Wilkinson, Ramsbottom, Lancashire
1950 Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 19.09. 2013 09:11 »
In the picture, the actuating arm seems to be 180 deg out of position

So does that put my wild guess back as a possibility - ( I know diddly squeek about plungers) 
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #11 on: 19.09. 2013 10:36 »
Lot of world wide head scratching going on, you can almost hear it ! I think ted's line of thought could be getting somewhere close. Combo's were used by some guys who weren't as mobile as they'd been ,plus ex service men , perhaps loss of a left leg so they rigged up a handbrake linkage for hill starts etc, shame it can't speak, thanks for the post Pato. I await the next trail of thought, regards to all BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 20.09. 2013 10:30 »
I did say wild geuss
Or Wild B-Bill, do you mean Wild Goose *lol*

Geez, Friday night here, I want some of what you blokes are on......!!*smile*

I reckon some forward thinkin' dude in the past conjured up this far fetched idea that there'd be a thing in the sky where people on other sides of the planet could mess up each others heads with concepts like 'forums', and made this thing so someone would find it and paste a picture, and ask the question......???

If that's some kind of a rearset, you'd have to be fairly dextrous with yer foot to make it work??- and not get the foot stuck in the wheel........ *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 20.09. 2013 11:19 »
Or Wild B-Bill, do you mean Wild Goose

Could well be Dutch, and just to mess up a few more heads another wild thought, if you slipped a bit of pipe over it you could put your foot on it and lock the back wheel while you undid the clutch centre nut
All the best - Bill

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #14 on: 20.09. 2013 22:08 »
I reckon some forward thinkin' dude in the past conjured up this far fetched idea that there'd be a thing in the sky where people on other sides of the planet could mess up each others heads with concepts like 'forums', and made this thing so someone would find it and paste a picture, and ask the question......???

Yeah, and he also found a way to travel through time and is now sitting somewhere watching this and laughing his head off....

Starts looking like The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy here..... *yeah*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium