Author Topic: Brake light stopped working.  (Read 1443 times)

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
Brake light stopped working.
« on: 22.09. 2013 08:45 »
Checked over my '59 Super Rocket yesterday and found brake light not working. Rear light is ok, but no brake light on pressing peddle. Changed bulb but it made no difference. Took the brake switch wires out and connected them together in case switch faulty - nothing. It was working fine the last time I checked and the only thing I've done to the electrics recently is to bridge the dynamo wires to check for output. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

This got me thinking. What is it, exactly, that makes the brake filament light up? Is the power to the rear light somehow suppressed and the brake peddle sends max 6 volts directly to the bulb? Funny how you take these things for granted until a problem arises.

Thanks for your help.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Norton International Model 40 1949
Triumph Thruxton R 2016
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring 2014

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Brake light stopped working.
« Reply #1 on: 22.09. 2013 09:03 »
What is it, exactly, that makes the brake filament light up? Is the power to the rear light somehow suppressed and the brake peddle sends max 6 volts directly to the bulb? Funny how you take these things for granted until a problem arises.

There's the clue above  Paul
there should be two filaments in the rear light bulb one for rear light the other for the brake light (separate circuit - bigger wattage filament)
I'm guessing the brake light filament has blown
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 22.09. 2013 10:36 »
G'day Paul.
I had that exact same problem with my A65 a month ago. Did the same as you and bypassed the switch but still no brake light (tail light OK). Power was getting to the fitting on both points but globe would only light the tail light. Tried 4 good bulbs, still no go. Pulled it all to bits and cleaned with electric contact cleaner and re assembled. Still no good so I gave it a backhander  *bash* low and behold it started working. Must have been a bad earth or power was leaking to earth. We call it electrickery.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 22.09. 2013 20:21 »
If it is a pattern rear light the bulb holders are usually very poor quality and often hit & miss whether they make contact with the bulb. I have sometimes rebuilt them using a bulb holder from a Japanese bike lamp.

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 24.09. 2013 19:19 »
Thanks for your responses. I'll check it out at the weekend.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Triumph Thruxton R 2016

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 25.09. 2013 11:54 »
Hi Paul, check the fittings for the mudguard to frame as thats the path  where you'll earth the unit from and also the connection between the rear light unit and the mudguard ,same reason (with power being sent by the wire from mainswitch and brakelight switch . ) If that still doesn't work connect a wire to your battery earth lead long enough to each the light fitting and after exposeing a little bare wire  touch it to bit of clean bare metal on the mudguard if the light works the mudguard is isolated from earth take the connections apart and clean so that everything is providing as easy a path as poss for the earth return. If nothing repeat on a metal part of the rear light assmbly it should work there and if it doesn't it'll be a duff light unit . In the past I've known people connect extra earth straps between light unit assmbly and mudguard and also between mudguard to frame . A guy who showed me how to first rewire an A10 years ago  hammered home the message about earth fittings being clean ,bright and tight. Then even 6v lights shine  bright and ok (just about )  ,best of luck BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline PaulC

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 28.09. 2013 18:54 »
Well, it seems bsa-bill got it right first go, although how he knew that I had three bulbs with faulty/blown brake filaments is beyond me! Well done Bill.

I checked all the wiring, dismantled the switch, cleaned all connections and earth, but got nothing despite trying three different bulbs. Then in desperation I tried a 12v equivalent from my car bulb kit and bingo! It worked. Not bright enough, but at least I knew it worked. Off down the shops for two 6v 21/5w and both work.

Thanks all for your advice.

Paul
A10 Super Rocket 1959
Triumph Thruxton R 2016