Author Topic: Big W strikes again  (Read 1302 times)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Big W strikes again
« on: 05.10. 2013 12:18 »
I swear I'll never buy another part from a supplier with a name starting with W.
Everything I've ever bought from that brand name has not fitted, taken a lot of work to fit or broken very quickly.
The last straw was found today. 2 out of 4 duralium tappet nuts cracked. Lucky to have done 250 miles *ex*.
Last year I had a set of W's allen key adjusters, 2 broke within 500 miles so got a set of SRM's beautiful.
One of W's cam followers was 1/2 thou too big and needed grinding.
I was thinking of a new set of con rods. I saw a nice looking set and started reading their blurb until I saw they were made exclusively for W. They weren't that much cheaper than SRM's, and makes me think "how long before they try to escape".
OK that's my whinge for the week.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: Big W strikes again
« Reply #1 on: 05.10. 2013 13:07 »
Muskie, the big problem with avoiding W's products is that as W are wholesalers to the trade, often an order to a third party supplier will be with filled by them supplying an item originating form W. I have seen many quotes by those in the trade that state we (the customer) get what we deserve because we collectively are not prepared to pay for top quality merchandise. What a load of B****cks. In my experience paying top dollar is no guarantee that you will get a top quality product. There are some suppliers of BSA parts that do try to supply top quality stuff. These guys normally have an engineering back ground, but some retailers are just that: retailers. And as such they do not have any real knowledge of the specification requirements needed to ensure that a part is fit for purpose. One supplier commissioned some big end bolts for example, and proudly told me that they were top quality CNC machined!!! He was a bit crest fallen when I told him that they would be useless. Big end bolts should be forged with rolled threads. I know of another BSA parts supplier that is very hot on quality, and if he cannot find parts that meet his quality standards then he will not stock that part. The trouble is it is often hard and expensive to find out what is OK and what is not. Like most of us I have more than a few bits of rubbish lying about that I bought in good faith. Auction sites unfortunately only serve to make this problem worse.

John

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.10. 2013 14:08 »
What goes around comes around (old cockney saying I'm told)

Strange - only this morning was an TV article about Chinese tourist and how many billions they spend, apparently they come to the UK to buy quality, it sited a young Chinese mother looking to buy a car child seat but wanted assurance it was made in UK, didn't want a Chinese made item.

I don't mind paying for good stuff, the sting comes when it's sold as good and turns out to be the same rubbish just hyped the priced up.

I'd think W+++++ are much the same as many big company's whose buyers are trained by bean counters rather than anybody who knows anything about the stuff they're buying

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 05.10. 2013 19:36 »

Shouldn't we publish a list of trustworthy parts dealers against a list of "To avoid at all cost"?
But then again, someone on the "To avoid" list would probably/surely find a judge to get the website offline, while thousands of internet cons and crooks can happily go on tricking money out of innocent peoples pockets without even being bothered...... *angry*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 05.10. 2013 20:34 »
G'day morris, a list has been talked about before (tried a search, gave up after 5 pages) but not acted on due to your concerns.
I didn't say a name but most here would know who I mean (in Australia bigW is a supermarket Woolworths).
On the other side of the coin I would encourage members posting on good traders/companies.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
« Reply #5 on: 05.10. 2013 20:55 »
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=2494.0 targeting good services. About bad ones, -let's be careful and realistic, of course. Example: 1 person may have one single incident and posts 20 pages about it on 10 forums, and 100 people may be very satisfied but posts nothing.

"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 05.10. 2013 21:16 »
Right!
And a bit of common sense and think before you act may help also..... (have to admit, sometimes not my strongest point ;))
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline fringedweller

• Moving Up
  • 1960 Super Rocket
« Reply #7 on: 05.10. 2013 22:44 »
I especially like the rubber components supplied that split while fitting or perish within a couple of months sitting in a shed unused.
I end up going back to Modak in Melbourne who supplies parts that fit and rubber gomponents that don't perish. Eg Gaiters that have had 2 years of use in dusty hot conditions (47c summers) and still in good nick. The rubber parts have his brandname on them.
If he can source good parts, why can't the rest of the suppliers?
Don

Offline Ethelred

• A's Best Friend
  • Northants, UK
« Reply #8 on: 05.10. 2013 23:07 »
re the comment about auction sites:
yes there's a lot of crap out there, I experienced it myself recently with brakes shoes that were just plain wrong and rubbish ATD springs, however I got a full refund, and that's the point. When dealing thru ebay and paypal there is a measure of buyer protection which you don't get when buying direct, and the feedback mechanism has a very positive effect on maintaining standards as sellers care about their reputation, again a feature not there if you buy direct. I know it doesn't help if you've fitted a dodgy part that goes kaput, but we're a nation of shopkeepers my boy... ;)
'59 A10

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 06.10. 2013 09:52 »
and paypal

Yes amongst  hundreds I've had one wrong part from Ebay that was paid by paypal and the seller did not respond, got a refund via paypal.
I've had one wrong part out of one on Ebay paid by check, chalked that one up to experience, a sprocket out of true (teeth not equidistant fro m the centre), it went to the local council recycle metal skip.
If they don't take Paypal I don't bid

Off to East Lothian and Borders Classic Bike club Autojumble at Peebles today,  to peruse some more dodgy new stuff and closely examine lots of mucky old stuff and re-sample their fantastic Scotch pies and Meringues    (blood sugar spike in the offing)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 07.10. 2013 10:15 »
I've stopped buying from a supplier that starts with D. They have a money back or replacement policy, but after 2 or 3 lots of postage to and from the UK it is quicker and costs less to buy from Modak. *eek*   I would love to do a trip over there to the IOM, the NMM and walk into the business that sends 2nd rate parts to the other end of the world *fight* Rant over. Cheers TC *smile*
'48 A7 '59 SR '74 850 Commando TDM900

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 08.10. 2013 10:28 »

Yo, Fringie dweller, I put on a new kickstart rubber, and it fell apart literally on the first kick, couldn't believe it, so replaced it with a bit of Oil hose or similar.....

In (defence) of Big dubbaya (W.....l), I bought handlebars from (random seller..?? British Spare Parts or similar..??), and a bit sceptical, but they advertised as stainless- ~£32+ £12pp to Oz
 When they arrived, a bit lower rise than expected, but Highly polished and totally non magnetic Stainless, can't fault them and were unexpectedly wrapped in Wassell tape....
 but things ain't always a success story....like my regulator, but with some fettling, it shorts no more..!!

Cheers duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia