Author Topic: 1954 Road Rocket Rear Mudguard  (Read 2074 times)

Offline benbow1947

• Active
1954 Road Rocket Rear Mudguard
« on: 13.09. 2013 07:08 »
I have recently purchased a very early A10RR and need help in acquiring the correct rear mudguard, pt. no. 42-6841, rather than the later 42-6856 one. Although the parts book shows the early one as being fitted to the 1954 and 1955 models, a November 1954 advert for a Golden Flash (which has the same mudguard, only painted rather than chromed) reproduced in Mick Walker's BSA Pre-unit Twins, shows the later mudguard fitted. In which case, as this would be an earlyish 1955 model, it looks like the early mudguard would only have been fitted to the 1954 bike and hence would only have been in production for a few months. If this is the case then there will be few around.

I have managed to obtain the rear stays, but enquiries to dealers in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US and the UK have so far failed to unearth the mudguard. Due to low anticipated demand it is unlikely that anyone will remanufacture them.

If I'm not able to locate one, does anyone know exactly what the differences are and how easy it would be to modify the later mudguard? The front would need extending to attach to the lower mounting bracket and a bracket would need to be attached to the rear to bolt to the stay. Would the depth of the valence be significantly different?

Any help would be much appreciated - Les

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
Re: 1954 Road Rocket Rear Mudguard
« Reply #1 on: 13.09. 2013 14:32 »
Hi.
I had a similar problem last year when rebuilding my Super Rocket, trying hard to locate the original style mudguards front and rear, did not fancy the Indian manufactured solutions, and could only find a company in the UK prepared to make from scratch, but at hell of a price, found some on Ebay, needed a lot of work to create standard I was happy with, which is to be expected being over 50 years old, but very pleased with finished job.
So have a look around, amazing what can be done with weld torch and metal bashing skills, and the art form of paint sprayers.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.09. 2013 23:50 »
Les,
            I am assuming that you have never seen one of these guards.
I have one in the shed which belongs to my '54 RR but at the moment is painted gold as I had it on my '55 Flash for a while.
I will dig it out later and photograph it.
The shape is much as the later one but is longer at the front and is waisted to clear the chain guard.
It has a bracket to attach to the frame as RGS and only one saddle.
The stays are longer above the triangle bracket than the later stays. Consequently the guard sits higher and doesn't look as good as the '55 model.

Trev.

Offline benbow1947

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 14.09. 2013 06:38 »
Trev

That's fantastic news. You are correct - I have never seen one! Your description matches what I have deduced from pictures, parts book and speaking to a New Zealand chap who had one. Any information would be gratefully received - photos, dimensions etc.

Les

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 14.09. 2013 06:44 »
Les,
            Attached are photos of the rear guard. I haven't done any measurements and it's beer o'clock now so I'll do some tomorrow.
I should have said earlier that the waisting is to clear the swinging arm, not the chain guard.
The same guard was fitted to the Shooting star as well as the Flash & RR.
Good hunting!

Trev.

Offline benbow1947

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 14.09. 2013 18:44 »
Trev

Thanks very much for the pictures. I will be able to identify one when I see it, so no need to bother sending any measurements. They are not as rare in England as I thought as I have discovered they were also fitted to B31s as well as Golden Flashes.

Thanks again
Les

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 15.09. 2013 03:19 »
Les,
            One more thing. My guard is a "short" one, that is it is shorter than some below the tail light, like the U.S. late Rocket guards.
I have seen both long and short and don't know what was used on what and whether there are different part numbers for them.

Trev.

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 15.09. 2013 07:54 »
Trev ,
Sorry to be a pain but I would really like the dimensions for My 55 "Flash" if You dont mind ?
Also interested in Your comments "short" ?
Could You please explain the difference / dimensions please at a time of Your choosing ?

Id be very grateful indeed .

Steve ...
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 22.09. 2013 22:25 »
Steve,
               Finally got around to having a look at the guard used from 1955-9.
Rough dimensions are   -  width 5 1/2",  depth 3 1/2", radius length 50 1/8".
Pictures attached.
What I mean by a "short" guard is the length below the number plate. The American Super Rockets from about 1960 are shorter in that place than the domestic guard.
The 1954 guard that I have is like the U.S. late one, I have no idea about its origin and whether it is A10 but it fits.
The 1954 guard is longer than the next type on the front end and has two saddles rather than one. It sits lower due to the rear stays being shorter above the triangle bracket.

Trev.

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 26.09. 2013 07:52 »
Thanks for the above Trev !
Much appreciated !

Steve ..
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline benbow1947

• Active
« Reply #10 on: 26.09. 2013 09:45 »
Hi everybody
Somehow I've managed to find a 1954 rear mudguard near to home. There are more of them about than I thought as they were fitted to the B31 as well as the Road Rocket and Golden Flash. Dimensions are 53" length, 5.5" wide and 3.5" maximum depth. Pictures attached.

Off topic can anyone confirm that the 1954/55 Road Rocket front brake drum has the 6 dimples rather than the plain drum?
Les

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 26.09. 2013 22:02 »
Les,
          That guard appears to be the "short" one, same as mine.
As to the brake drum, I think that it is the same as the Flash, no knock-outs.
The rim is a different part number as it is drilled for tyre locks.
Pretty sure that the hubs with knock-outs were 1950-52.

Trev.

Offline benbow1947

• Active
« Reply #12 on: 27.09. 2013 17:18 »
Hi Trev,

I've measured the distance from the seat bracket holes to the tail, which is 29.5". I saw a 1957 Road Rocket the other day and it had a noticeable amount of mudguard below the number plate. Interestingly mine had a mudflap attached to it, so maybe there was a problem there.

Les

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 27.09. 2013 23:26 »
G'day Les,
               I have been looking at these guards belonging to others and they are all short ended. Maybe I was having a senior moment thinking that I had seen a longer version or just confusing one with the later type which is longer, as you have found out.

Trev.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 01.10. 2013 09:26 »
Not saying this is the case here, but it's worth remembering that not ALL factory/promo photos were precisely as the models AS PRODUCED. Sometimes there would be a printing deadline that might force them to assemble a bike with what was available, say if the correct mudguard was unavailable for the photoshoot. (ask me how I know!)
One of the reasons museum pieces are important.