Author Topic: Dent in tank  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Alex kettle

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 bsa a10
Dent in tank
« on: 06.10. 2013 20:39 »
Soon i will be being given my dads a10 to put back on the road. shame about this dent in the tank. anyone got a rough idea on cost for sorting this out and re chroming. was thinking of maybe body filler and painting up like this bike as i think it looks quite smart (see photo) for now and as money allows buy a new tank later on?

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Dent in tank
« Reply #1 on: 06.10. 2013 20:57 »
not going to be cheap in fact probably cheaper to get a new Indian made tank ready painted.
such as this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-BSA-A7-A10-SUPER-ROCKET-BLACK-PAINTED-CHROMED-PETROL-TANK-/370716884118?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item565072bc96

Possible wont be as good as your tank quality wise but at that price ?????

Last tank I had  dent repaired ,chromed and painted and lines cost £500, that was 12 years ago and the chrome is beginning to pit a little now (mind you even when theses bikes were made new a twelve year old tank would probably show some signs of age)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #2 on: 07.10. 2013 06:48 »
tend to agree with Bill on this, my old tank is suffering the same fate, it was repaired and chromed about 25 yrs ago, good job it was too, but even though it hasn't been on the bike its still deteriorating in the chrome areas AND it hasn't got the gold coach lines around the black/chrome joint. I suspect I will also need to seal the inside when I eventually get it on road to stop fuel weepage *sad2*.
I think if I was starting the job now (these new tanks were not available back then), then I'd go the new Indian tank way BUT preserve the old tank in case you need it later ie the new tank didn't come up to expectations or you decide later in life to restore back to original.....

Offline 1959superocket

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 08.10. 2013 19:26 »
My tank was repaired (with more damage than that includingt holes), re-chromed and repainted, pinstriped plus ethanol resistant liner installed by Geoff Allinson of Paintwork Express who you will find advertises in the OBG, CBG and CB mags.

Geoff organised the repairs and re-chroming and did the paintwork himself but its better than hawking it around 3 trades. Have a look at my first post for photo.

Cost £520 if I remember correctly and I expect the bulk of that will be for plating.

You can buy Indian replica tanks for about £200 bare metal and £300 chromed so add paint and you will be up to same £ but will they fit properly with tank straps etc and how good is the chrome????
Regards
Stuart
59 SR

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 09.10. 2013 00:19 »
Hi Poshman1, Check this one out - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-BSA-A7-A10-SUPER-ROCKET-RED-PAINTED-CHROMED-PETROL-TANK-/271251413481?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3f27d819e9 Quite cheap at 175 pounds sterling plus postage. I recently purchased a tank from India for a rigid B31 which had to be modified to fit an Indian replica speedo in it (done by them before sending at no extra charge, even got the speedo thrown in) they also sent me a locking cap which did not fit, a 3/8" BSP petcock for a 1/4" BSP tank hole but other than that I can't complain as they sent me a cap that did fit and the correct petcock. The tank would not suit a concourse restoration though, a few ripples in the chrome which can only be felt if you run your fingers along it. I just ordered a replacement tank from a different Indian supplier for the A10 so I can get it on the road and repair the original tank when funds allow. Be sure to flush the crap out when and if you get it though. Cheers. Gerry

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 09.10. 2013 23:06 »
You were lucky Gerry. The B31 rigid tank we received sat too low on it's mounts and hit the valve lifter. We had to cut and shut a section out underneath for clearance. They simply welded the front brackets on too high. The did send another unchromed tank for free plus postage though.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 10.10. 2013 08:31 »
Yep could nit pick about the quality of some Indian tank (some iffy others very good) but they are making them at least.
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #7 on: 10.10. 2013 08:49 »
I had a very banged up genuine tank, found a very shagged rear guard and had a good panel beater sort them out. wasn't cheap but they fit and are genuine parts reclaimed from scrap. Well worth the effort in my opinion.

Do have a very good straight spare original tank unchromed, but its in NZ!
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 10.10. 2013 10:09 »
Gerry,  love your B31!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 11.10. 2013 00:03 »
This is the tank mentioned. Notice how it slopes down at the front. If only they had sample frames to check for accurate fitting. 

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #10 on: 21.11. 2013 22:58 »
Poshman, why dont you simply polish the dent and live with it. Its part of the bikes history, is relatively minor and although annoying will be expensive to fix properly. painting the tank shouts "I'm full of bog" and an indian repro makes the bike less original.
While I had mine beaten and rechromed, it was in a very sad state to start with, while that tank of yours still looks serviceable.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 22.11. 2013 12:09 »
That is a great looking bike Wilko.
The motor looks a bit gold starish.
Are the brakes up to the job or is it as exciting to ride as it looks?
cheers

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 22.11. 2013 12:22 »
interesting old girl - but what  is the old crawler under a tree, I don't recognize the make *????*
All the best - Bill

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 22.11. 2013 22:05 »
It's a Howard. Single overhead cam!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 23.11. 2013 09:56 »
Cheers Wozza - Howard, I must do a bit of digging Howard in the UK were a firm who made implements more than tractors (I think), most farm folk would think first of Howard rotary muck spreaders, they most have sold thousands of those things, used to know when one was in use within twenty miles as you'd hear clack clack -- clack clack -- clack clack as the worn /stretched chains hit the casing
All the best - Bill