Author Topic: Just a quick hello to say I'm still around  (Read 1250 times)

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
Just a quick hello to say I'm still around
« on: 07.10. 2013 13:02 »
Hi fella's, just thought I would say a quick hello as I've not been on here for ages (sorry). I've still got my bike, not come off it yet fingers crossed with the dozy drivers round my area, had a couple of near misses. Bikes running great, not had to tinker with it at all apart from oil change, think I've got the fuel mixture almost spot on now and she starts first kick hot or cold 9 out of 10 times (don't you just love the old school machines) put a good few miles on the clock, thinking about tucking it away for its winter rest now. Been quite busy converting my van into a camper, my mum passed away in May, quite sad, but she was suffering for the last few years so to be honest it came as a bit of a relief for mum and the family, I have been thinking about all the regulars on the forum and wondering what you've all been getting upto. Going to start getting on here more often now, anyway fella's great forum and although it might sound corny I have missed it. All the best, Chicago.
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Just a quick hello to say I'm still around
« Reply #1 on: 07.10. 2013 13:36 »
Hi Chicago, wondered where you'd got to, sorry to hear about your Mum , all you can say is that time is a great healer and does help. Keep dodging the car drivers Best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 07.10. 2013 14:03 »
We missed you too Chicago welcome back.
Sorry to hear about your mum, as Bob says it takes time
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 07.10. 2013 19:25 »
G'day Mate, good of you to drop in. Condolences from everyone here.
Unfortunately were at the age where we go to more funerals than birthdays.
On a happier note glad the Beeza is going well (as they should).
I'd hate to live where the bikes get put away for half a year. What would I do. Oh yes, all those jobs the missus wants done!!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 08.10. 2013 10:09 »

Hiya Chicagogo, (and all)
    Good that the bike is trekkin' well- I'm a bit erratic also, have a read, come up with replies- then lose it.(maybe not a bad thing).. and also sorry 'bout yer Ma, I had a similar some years back.
 Can't you add on one of those snow plough front ends for winter though....(like a Spyder)..??... but then I guess you'd have to  put a Flannie over the Tee shirt to stay warm....? *smile* *smile* ...35˚ here yesterday...nice..!
 cheers, duTch

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 08.10. 2013 10:29 »
Yeah it's a real pain putting the bike under wraps for 6 mths ,once upon a lifetime ago,  i used to ride in any weather and took pride in being a "proper motorcyclist " .Rode to London aged 16 and a bit in November didn't even feel the cold , now turned 63 and def soft ,too many cars with heaters and aircon plus joints that would sieze faster than a 10's left conrod without benefit of any oil. Still don't know how you guys in Oz deal with snakes and 'roos etc but the sun would be nice !! One thing very much in common used my Barbie 3 weeks ago....... to fit the bearings in the gearbox I'm building ,Wife saw the smoke and asked later what I'd cooked ,looked quite strange when I said "metal " and went  back to the garage !! She didn't know I'd used her oven gloves Ha Ha, so no burnt fingers for me ,still can't figger out where they've gone ,I'll treat her to a new pair on Saturday , last of the big spenders hey?/ regards everyone BobH.
United Kingdom

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 08.10. 2013 12:25 »
Hi Chicago, Sorry to hear about your Mum, very sad to hear. Chin up fella, time is a great influence in numbing the pain. At 75 they are dropping like flies around me but my number hasn't come up yet  *eek*  Top Dad, you would love our Sth Oz winters here, never freezes ...well rarely. Some times it snows on Mount Lofty (small hill) and every one and his dog rushes up there to see it lol. Summer is another thing, too bloody hot most of the time to do anything outside and I get bloody goose bumps watching the Harley Ferguson riders in shorts tee shirts and flip flops (thongs). Can't ride here at dawn or dusk due to the Roos using the residual heat of the roads to keep warm. Snakes? Only ever seen four in fifty years but might have "improved" on that if I did more outback riding. Anyone remember the GP rider who ran over a Cobra in Singapore years ago...or was it Malaya? Cheers. Gerry

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 08.10. 2013 13:57 »
At 75 they are dropping like flies around me

Steady on Gerry, *shh* given the average age here ( wonder what is it)
I'm Seventy on Friday so just time for another project then if I get my finger out *countdown*

All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 08.10. 2013 14:38 »
70 whats that, we're young at heart Bill ......sell you a good insurance policy at  *lol*least a 40 yr term methinks ?????????? please forgive that couldn't resist BobH >:D
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 08.10. 2013 14:42 »
are you a friend of Micheal Parkinson by any chance Bob
All the best - Bill

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 08.10. 2013 14:44 »
no Bill but have plenty of free pens ,ha ha BobH
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 08.10. 2013 15:59 »
Chicago,

Glad to have you back in touch. Of course, condolences for your loss and hope that the family is all at peace.

As for putting the bike up for the winter, at least you are doing it voluntarily. As you may have heard, the actual "Chicago" can have just a tad of cold weather ;), so, the bike was going to be hibernating anyway. Unfortunately, discovering shim bits in the sump meant winter began in September. I'm using the strip-down as an opportunity/excuse to do a few upgrades, such as, new clutch parts, SRM pump and, me thinks, an oil filter.

As for age, 65 and still kickin' (both kinds).

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020. This year it's a solo or pillion ride in dapper attire. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #12 on: 09.10. 2013 11:55 »
Hi, cheer's fella's   *wink2*. happy 70th on Friday bill *beer*.  Thanks for all your condolences about my mum, she was a real gem but in the long run I think it really was for the best, this is what I love about this forum, it's like being with friends or family, everyone's polite and always ready and able to help and offer support, I've been on other forums and none of them even come close, great forum and it's the people who use it and run it that makes it so good. All the best, Chicago.

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #13 on: 09.10. 2013 19:17 »
^^^ Thanks for the very kind words about the forum.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
« Reply #14 on: 09.10. 2013 19:51 »
^^^ Thanks for the very kind words about the forum.
Well deserved fella. *good3*