Author Topic: LED headlight  (Read 1800 times)

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
LED headlight
« on: 10.10. 2013 19:41 »
Found this supplier who's got LED lamps to replace the headlamp bulb;

http://www.sparesservice.be/winkel/index.php?cPath=307

He's got them for + as well as - earth. It draws 0.7 amps/6V, compared to the regular bulb which draws 3.5 amps dipped and 4 at main beam
I bought one some time ago. It works well, only drawback is that it leaves you with only dipped beam, but for normal use you won't need main beam anymore as the light sure is strong enough. The color of the light however is of a blueish white, which for me was a bit out of tune so in the end I decided to go back to the regular bulb, and converted to the dynamo belt drive.

Cheers
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: LED headlight
« Reply #1 on: 10.10. 2013 20:27 »
Interesting link, and observations. And yes, the light can't be cold blue (abomination!), must of course be warm yellow like in the lamp on the forum logo\BSA advert!  *smile*

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 24.10. 2013 13:16 »

you can get those led lights off ebay...china...maybe $3.00 aus.. I ordered a bunch..head tail and inside lamp for my pickup...
headlights don't seem all that bright..??   no scientific test...but am looking at using under the headlight for daytime use...the headlamp bulb I am also looking at using for brakelight...that should wake ,m up...
with the small elec draw...have to figure out something...still have the 60watt e3l...

Offline Marc25

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 28.01. 2015 20:59 »
Any news ? New link ?
I really consider buying led for headlamps as said by shuswapkev it looks a good choice when you have a 60W e3l...

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #4 on: 28.01. 2015 22:32 »
This is the one I recently mounted: http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-6000K-Motorcycle-H4-BA20D-H6M-Hi-Lo-Bi-Xenon-LED-Headlamp-White-Light-MW-/261725239641?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cf00a3959

A link to a (not very good) video: http://youtu.be/CFantasUu9c
First visible light is the pilot light, LED aswell.
Of course I have LEDs in the blinkers and rear/brake to. :-)

It only draws 12W at low and 17W at high, very strong light, comparable to a 55/60W halogen.
This is 12V, but it works fine since I bought this 6->12V voltage converter, I have seen similar that works from 6V aswell.
Had to grind the base of a bit for it to fit in the reflector and used zip ties to fasten it.

I had this laying around, there are better LEDs than this one available.
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 17.02. 2015 03:09 »
Jonnny can you say more about what you had to do to fit the LED headlamp? were you grinding bits off one of the 3 metal base parts that came with it? did the whole fan/heatsink/LED unit insert into your standard headlamp and sit near the focal point? and cable tie what to what?

thanks
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #7 on: 17.02. 2015 10:11 »
This might prove to be an interesting read. http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/ LED headlamp bulbs are being made and are due to offered for sale beginning in March 2015 by this company.
John

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #8 on: 17.02. 2015 11:53 »
It works well, only drawback is that it leaves you with only dipped beam, but for normal use you won't need main beam anymore as the light sure is strong enough.
Morris, can you please explain further what you meant by that? Because in the UK this would be an MOT failure.
John

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #9 on: 17.02. 2015 14:16 »
Jonnny can you say more about what you had to do to fit the LED headlamp? were you grinding bits off one of the 3 metal base parts that came with it? did the whole fan/heatsink/LED unit insert into your standard headlamp and sit near the focal point? and cable tie what to what?

thanks

Yes, the 3 metal parts are quite similar size wise and I don't remember exactly which one I used, but removing a couple of mm around the whole of it makes it fit.
The fan/heatsink sit outside (there is still enough space in the cowling) and I used 2 or 3  longer cable ties around the whole fan/heatsink and fastened them in the "groves" where old lamp assembly turns to sit tight. A little bit hard to explain, see if I can take a picture some day..
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 18.02. 2015 06:39 »
Johnny - a photo would be great if you can manage it.
John - they're mentioning a BA15d - lets hope they get a P36d as well.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #11 on: 18.02. 2015 22:24 »
It works well, only drawback is that it leaves you with only dipped beam, but for normal use you won't need main beam anymore as the light sure is strong enough.
Morris, can you please explain further what you meant by that? Because in the UK this would be an MOT failure.
John
With hindsight I wouldn't recommend them anymore. The bloke I bought it from turned out to be a bit of a Del Boy. I think he buys those bulbs (and other stuff) by the hundreds in China for penny's and sells them over here for big money.
The thing is that the socket looks like a regular socket with two contact points and is a straight fit, but when you "change beam" the beam just stays the same.
OTOH we never had and still don't have MOT for motorcycles in Belgium, so you can virtually get away with about anything as long as it isn't to obvious. Just don't get stopped by a policeman who by chance knows a thing or two about motorcycles. (That would be my luck...) *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium