Author Topic: Anti wet sumping??  (Read 3092 times)

Offline michael snellin

• A's Good Friend
Anti wet sumping??
« on: 22.10. 2013 14:27 »
Hi, would any one know? and im sure there is what i need to prevent the bike from wet sumping ??? there is a valve that i can get from a supplier but not too sure? the bike has been completly rebuilt so i mght as well try to overcome this

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
Re: Anti wet sumping??
« Reply #1 on: 22.10. 2013 16:46 »
A search on this topic within this forum will bring up all the information you require, from changing engine oil type, or fitting new pump, to addition of anti wet sumping valve and or drain type sump plate the list goes on. Never experienced wet sumping on my bike, so lucky.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.10. 2013 17:26 »
i need to prevent the bike from wet sumping

How bad is it John - if it's not spewing oil out onto your garage floor when you start it then it's not doing anything out of the ordinary.
If you don't ride it as often as you would like (like me) that is no excuse to not start it at least once a week, every two or three days would be better, this will keep the sump empty, if it doesn't then you do indeed have a problem, a problem you should not have on a rebuilt engine, (although I do note you say rebuilt bike, maybe this does not include engine)

Anti wet sumping valves  -  a subject of divided opinions, I and my friends with BSA'a have used them  with good good results, others don't trust them and go to great lengths to make them safe by fitting more things to go wrong ( Just a little dig guys don't take it personal like), do a search on the Forum John For wet sumping and be prepared for a long read.

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline isuzu

• Moving Up
    • Isuzu club Holland
« Reply #3 on: 15.01. 2014 16:02 »
To keep my sump clear of loads of oil I placed a little manual valve in, see pic. I close this valve if Im sure not to use the bike for longer than say a month.
Regular starting her up for a short time to clear the sump is not a good thing for the engine I think. Letting oil out of the sump and pouring the oil back in neither for the risk of contamination (of the oil itself and my trousers that is).
Im not afraid to forget this manual valve at the time I get the bike out of the shed; that is the moment I open the valve so it will prime the pump if necesary.
To never forget the valve I also get my sparkplug off the bougie whenever I close the valve as a reminder .... works great

gr Dick

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.01. 2014 16:13 »
Oh, ye of so much faith.

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #5 on: 16.01. 2014 05:43 »
When i first got my Super Rocket, I put a shut-off valve in line, to stop the wet sumping, with a little tag on the handlebar saying OIL 1ST.
The very 1st time I started it I forgot the valve. Luckily it ran for about a minute, before I saw I my tag. The valve was removed immediately. Eventually I sprung for an SRM pump and it doesn't wet-sump.
Clive

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 16.01. 2014 11:47 »
We all have this assumption the human brain is infalable - it isn't, we assume we see through our eyes and hear through our ears - we don't, eyes and ears are merely sensors that collect information that our brain interprets, our brain is clever it fills in missing information by assuming what it's missed, it sees striaght lines where there is random selection of dots and spaces (canals om Mars), people called Magicians/Illusionists make good livings by making our brains see stuff that not there.

Right all the above is to explain why I think a ball and valve is more reliable than our memory (BSA thought so too) and every time you add anything more complicated than a ball and spring you add more to go wrong or more to forget.

OK I'll shut up now - each to their own and all that
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 16.01. 2014 12:05 »
Excellent - this subject matter is surely more prevalent than even a straight forward oil thread.

Just keep upping the viscosity of oil that you are using until it no longer does it. Simple.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 09.02. 2015 07:47 »
G'day all.
This was just put up on the Made In England forum down here. The MIE forum is run by the Notrun owners but this clip runs true for us as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZDliLSCYAw&feature=youtu.be
It proves that if you put anything before the pump it must be primed before start up.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 09.02. 2015 21:24 »
HI
If the manual valve in the posted link was available with a normally closed switch it could work for magneto sparked bikes when wired to the mag cutout,
It looks lik a well made item??

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 28.03. 2015 07:13 »
I was always afraid of putting a shut-off valve inline.  You only have to forget it once.  I put on an SRM filter sump with the magnetic drain plug.  If the bike sits for more than a few days, I just pull the plug and drain the sump into a flask and then pour it back into the tank.  It only takes a few minutes and it keeps from pumping oil out the breather.

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 30.03. 2015 00:14 »
Well after a rebuild and of course committing the unbelievable sin of failing to change the check valve ball and spring (I even damned well bought one to do it as well) my bike wet sumped and as a quick fix I fitted a valve.

Yes the oil does circulate but nowhere near as well as it seemed to before. I have also non stop smoking problems (written in another article) and I will never use one again. It might not be causing any of my problems but it does add to an already lengthy list of "maybes" and despite only have done 1800 miles I have worried non stop since the day I fitted it.

Thats my view anyway

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #12 on: 30.03. 2015 08:50 »
One of my bikes had an anti-wet sumping valve fitted when I got it. After a few trips I removed the external valve and was surprised just how much more flow I can now see returning to the oil tank.
The sump plate drain plug is my preferred solution until a major strip down is necessary.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 02.05. 2015 19:03 »
regarding drain plug drill hole in centre of sump plate tack a 13m nut on inside a  short bolt and fibre washer

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 01.06. 2015 15:40 »
I will be a bit careful with a anti wet sump valve.

The oil pump is not build for the additional pressure loss in the tank to pump oil line.

Solve the problem at the root: The oil pumpe.
I have fitted new oil pumps from SRM in our three BSA A10SR bikes.
This solve the problem. There is added benefit with the new oil pump: High oil flow.
http://www.srmclassicbikes.com/technical-information

It work, and works well

Viking