Author Topic: alternative transport  (Read 757 times)

Offline Ethelred

• A's Best Friend
  • Northants, UK
alternative transport
« on: 22.10. 2013 23:51 »
as if an A7/10 wasn't alternative enough, just wondered what else you're into...

I fixed a bloke's 'leccy bike recently, God bless the Chinese for cheap electrics, which got me looking into them and for 250 British quids, batteries extra, you can convert your pushbike to a 30 mph death trap (the legal limit here is 15 mph). Gotta be done really...

I'm in the process of buying a 17' steam launch; conrods, pistons, lots of oily bits and a fire! What's not to like?
'59 A10

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: alternative transport
« Reply #1 on: 23.10. 2013 07:01 »
Came across lots of stuff to make an A7/A10 go faster, but a steam launcher...??? *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 23.10. 2013 10:39 »

Maybe a subtle way of saying it's a 'Rocket-ship'...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.10. 2013 12:34 »
Our every day transport, since I retired is a second generation petrol engined 1200cc Fiat Panda. I love it; it makes me happy when I drive it! It has a surprisingly large cabin with very good headroom. This model won the European Car of the Year award in 2004. It's a lovely car to drive. The seats are very comfortable; I can drive for hours without getting tired. Although it is not overburdened with torque, (!) it can be wound up to a very good motorway speed. It has the same chassis as used by some other cars including the latest Ford Ka. The Panda sips it's fuel and only charges £30 a year road tax. Servicing is MUCH cheaper than my previous car; it takes only 2.8 Ltrs of engine oil!

Previously I bought my first new car ever; a Nissan X-Trail. Had it for seven years and was a super vehicle with a very high level of trim: built-in sat-nav, leather seats, air-con, large sunroof etc etc. Although it was a four-wheel drive vehicle it had no low ratio selection so not a serious off-roader but when cornering fast on wet roads it was nice to know all four wheels were driving. The performance, considering it was a diesel was really sporty. I thought I should trade it in as I didn't want to be the owner who had to shell out for a new turbo if/when it failed. Really miss the X-Trail. I've only recently realised that Nissan probably want the name to be pronounced Crosstrail!

Before I retired I cycled to work most of the time. The ride to my last place was a ten miler. I thought cycling was keeping me fit and I'm sure it did my cardiovascular system a lot of good but now I'm suffering from arthritis in my knees and ankles!

Mind you, it's possible that my period as a motor-cycle dispatch rider when I was younger may have something to do with those joints suffering now. I was employed during a winter period to ride a Honda 500 Four, (supplied by the employer) between Norfolk and various offices around London to collect newspaper and magazine 'copy' which was to be printed at my employers press. I was sometimes doing over a thousand miles a week. After sitting on that motorbike in freezing conditions,(rain, hail, snow & sleet) for say three hours I sometimes could hardly get off the thing!
I have a memory from that job of a time late one Friday evening: Friday was a particularly busy day with something like 20 pickups around London. I had stopped at the last street lights on the north of London to adjust my clothing, clean my helmet visor and make sure the bikes luggage boxes were properly locked, [Writing that reminds me of the incident when they were not properly locked!]. In the winter the air in a big city is noticeably warmer than the countryside:  looking behind me I could see the comforting yellow tunnel of light leading back into the warm city; ahead was freezing darkness! The roads were deserted, a cold northerly wind was blowing sleet at me and I was tired. I had a lonely two hour ride ahead of me. I felt so sorry for myself I had to hold back tears and really force myself to go on.

Offline Lukey

• Moving Up
  • BSA Builders of London
« Reply #4 on: 24.10. 2013 20:20 »
My everyday mode of transport it an older suzuki bandit 600 that I commute to work on and until the caferacer is built is also my weekend bike too

For a car I have a 1987 Landrover defender 90  *smile*

Dont like new cars, too many electrics and things to go wrong  *smile* *smile*
1960 BSA A7SS
1950 BSA A10 Police bike - rebuild
1960 BSA A10 Overland Project
1959 BSA A10 Project Caferacer
1949 BSA Bantam D1 - as it came out of the factory
1951 BSA Bantam D1 trials - a bit of fun
1964 BSA C15 Trials
1960 BSA B40 Scramber - Building to original spec

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 25.10. 2013 10:17 »
I go from one extreme to another....my RGS rep shares a garage with a 162bhp Ducati Diavel, red with a white stripe....good for 2.7 sec. to 60mph.
Love them both.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 25.10. 2013 13:21 »
I alternate between 1 x right foot one up three down, 2 x right foot one down three up and 2 x left foot one down four up bikes. Always makes the first few corners interesting and some times after a hundred miles I might forget which one I'm on.  *red*
Rescue vehical is a '02 Ford one tonner.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #7 on: 26.10. 2013 00:16 »
I got 1 Left foot 1 Down 4 up..  Harley
        1 Right foot 1 Up 3 down..   BSA
        1 XR6 4speed Auto...    Ford UTE
        1 CVT auto with paddles  *eek* ...Subaru XV
Each have a different mode of gear change,
which explains why I'm totaly confused most of the time...    *pull hair out*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 26.10. 2013 07:20 »
I suppose the most alternative vehicle I own is my 1976 Toyota Hiace coachbuilt camper. It is still in Scotland as, at 20mpg it would cost more than it's worth to drive it here. My LDV Convoy hightop long wheelbase van is here in Hungary but that is on loan to a "friend" and is currently a bone of contention.  *sad2*