Author Topic: Conical Hub on Early A7 forks?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Bsa Nut

• A's Good Friend
Conical Hub on Early A7 forks?
« on: 27.10. 2013 05:13 »
Hey everyone....

First time logging on here at the A7/A10 forum. Hello from Missouri, by the way.

I'm getting ready to step in to my first A7 project...many BSA's in the past, but my first A7.
(Doing up a '53, yet it is correctly labeled Ba7S-xxxx and is a swing arm frame, not plunger.)
A very early example of BSA's switch to the new design for '54.

And straight away into my first question:

As far as front axles are concerned, what is the progression of change from A7/10 to A65...into the '71 era??
The source of my question is this: I want to possibly fit a later BSA/TRI conical hub to the front of this machine.
If I get a hub which includes the proper axles, how close does it swap over? Or better yet, how close does the stock axle work with the TLS conical stoppers? (I can make spacers, shims, or required hardware.) I know the centers on BSA are pretty much the same with regard to fork center to center, just not sure of the axle config.

I just finished my '65 Lightning Rocket in Clubman's trim, now its off to this baby...

I'm sure someone has done this swap, any enlightenment?

Thanks, in advance.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: Conical Hub on Early A7 forks?
« Reply #1 on: 27.10. 2013 06:12 »
Why would you want to fit a comical hub, they were a very poor brake anyway? The previous TLS brake, used around '69 - '70 worked better and would look more in keeping with the A7.

Offline Bsa Nut

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 27.10. 2013 09:00 »
Well, aesthetics mostly...
I like what can be done with a conical, as opposed to the boring flat drum backing plate with the A7-A65.
Let me look closer at the earlier tls, perhaps it would suffice.
Dido, then on the prior question, but also regarding the '69-'70 version.

;)

Offline Bsa Nut

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 27.10. 2013 09:05 »
Look at this for an example of an awesome conical hub...

http://www.roytonroadandrace.co.uk/products.html

Something along these lines would be a nice adaptation.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 27.10. 2013 10:00 »
G'day BSA Nut,  *welcome*
I agree the comicals look better, but from memory the '68-'69's worked better.
I'm not 100% sure but I the axle is compatible with the '58 on fork sliders. A few here ave done the '68-9 conversion.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 28.10. 2013 10:17 »

G'day BsaNuts,
                      Welcome along, and Hi back to Miss Ouri- whoever she is...? ;)
 You got off lucky with Musky, he knows all about nuts... *smile*

I have a conical on my '52, and it works ok-ish, but I have the whole front end, fitted on easy, just had to organise some spacer sleeves for the bearings.
 In a previous incarnation (not the flowery kind), I had on a '60's TLS which I think worked better, and fitted easy, as the anchor lug is in the right place but needs building up to engage better but was a while ago, and I think I might've had to 'relieve' the bottom cap stud recesses in the axle..(?), or at least do something to it, can maybe measure things tomorrow if I don't have an early call for 'vocational cashflow'.
  I think also that I fitted, or tried to, either a whole wheel or more likely somehow adapted just the backing plate to my '58 R. Rocket back in the seventies, details are sketchy, but fairly sure it worked.
  It may be easier to adapt a Conical wheel to earlier forks than the other way (~kind've), but likely for function the earlier wheel may be best.

Cheers, duTch

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Bsa Nut

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 28.10. 2013 23:37 »
Thanks Dutch.

Thanks for the info, as well as the laughs. ;)

I need to get the parts in hand, and visually compare. I knew it could be done, and it couldn't be too difficult.
I'm searching for ideas for the front end...then we can proceed.
Want my options open.
;)