Author Topic: A bit of bodgery that worked  (Read 925 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
A bit of bodgery that worked
« on: 30.10. 2013 16:03 »
Earlier this year  I purchased a set of copper rocker cover gaskets. The rear gasket was leaking from just about everywhere. Did the copper gaskets cure the problem? The answer is yes and no. The rear joint and the front timing side joint are now leak free. The front drive side had a slight weep ( strange isn’t it how you can cure one problem only to find that you have created another one). Before I did this job both of the front cover joints were oil tight. Ah well…. Anyway I really did not fancy taking everything apart so soon, especially as the leak was more of an annoyance than anything else. The attached picture shows the point at which the joint is leaking. So, I cleaned up the area where the oil was coming from with brake cleaner. And this is where the bodge comes in. I applied some silver paint over the area. I gave it two or three coats and left it to dry and harden off. And do you know what? So far it is still leak free. Now I am not suggesting that this bodge is a long term solution, and sooner or later (sooner rather than later) everything is going to have to come apart again in order to sort it out. However, the bodge allowed me to ride all through the summer with no oily film visible on the cylinder head top fin. What a rotten design that rocker cover is!

John

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: A bit of bodgery that worked
« Reply #1 on: 30.10. 2013 18:49 »
The mechanic in the Britbike shop in Edinburgh (West Pier) used to fix crankcase leaks with a wipe of acetone and a light smear of araldite.
His argument was that people wanted a quick, cheap fix. Nobody wanted a complete strip-down done. He was absolutely right.
You've fixed a leak and done no damage John, so it's not a bodge...in fact its genius. If you'd used lime green paint and the entire can I might feel differently.

Cheers,
Iain

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 31.10. 2013 11:14 »
Nice one John and I totally agree, rocker box probably designed on back of fag packet on the way to the pub friday afternoon , the one bit of A10's I hate oh not forgetting  6 spring clutches,cheers BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 31.10. 2013 11:54 »
...and timing them with a twig down the plughole  *smile*

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 31.10. 2013 17:25 »
Actually - they're all a bit carp really aren't they ... ?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 31.10. 2013 19:53 »
Actually - they're all a bit carp really aren't they ... ?

should the title be changed from " a bit of bodgery" to " a bit of blasphemy " *smile*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco