Author Topic: '60 knee pads  (Read 827 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
'60 knee pads
« on: 04.11. 2013 03:42 »
is there a natural order to assemble the small triangular knee pads onto a '60 4 gallon tank?
the grey rubber pads don't have holes in so must go on after the brackets are screwed onto the tank, but without bending the brackets putting the rubber pads aren't going to go on without a battle -hard enough with the brackets loose!

My ZB33 has sensible holes in the pads, very tempting to cut some slots in the new pads so it can be screwed on preassembled.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: '60 knee pads
« Reply #1 on: 04.11. 2013 10:03 »
tried warming them up in hot water and stretching them on?
Are they old ones or repro?
A friend used to use glycerine to revitalise old cracked vintage bicycle handlebar grips, this amy help if they are originals to soften them u.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.11. 2013 10:54 »
I fancy there's a market for good quality knee pads, the ones I seem to get either crack when you attempt to fit them or a few weeks after *sad2*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.11. 2013 19:22 »
Warming them and perhaps dishwashing liquid sounds like a plan. They are new repro ones and tight as...
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 21.11. 2013 22:47 »
soaked them in a bucket of hot soapy water helped me get one on. For the other I think I need to bolt the tank on first, so its held steady. But the hot soapy water certainly helped fitment
New Zealand