Author Topic: Engine rebuilt - for real!  (Read 1751 times)

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
Engine rebuilt - for real!
« on: 06.11. 2013 19:22 »
Hi folks

A while ago I posted a video on Youtube asking for analytical ears regarding engine noises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTENfWaXrA

Well, now it has been thoroughly rebuilt. I went to the International Rally in Norway, and up there the bike suffered some setbacks, one of them being lock-up of the crank shock absorber, resulting in severe pounding of every bearing in the enigine and gearbox. I limped home, and had the engine proffessionally rebuilt. Not much could be re-used, but for a hefty sum, the bike is now running really well, as in "can they really be like this?". So now I'm just longing for spring...
Otto in Denmark

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Engine rebuilt - for real!
« Reply #1 on: 07.11. 2013 08:57 »

Hiya Otto- is that the one that I think Wozza had trouble with his screen?

Was a bit hard if I recall to pinpoint the noise, but have thought about it recently wondered how it went?  Even wondred if it may've been slap in the cam/lifter department?
So what d'ya reckon exactly happens with 'Crank Shocker Lockup'   ?
 Shame about the resultant rebuild, hope spring goes well
cheers duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline gavinoz

• A's Good Friend
  • Dogs & Sheep hate smokers worse than Hondas.
« Reply #2 on: 07.11. 2013 19:49 »
Sorry, I'm with duTch here, what exactly happened with the crank shocker lock up?

gav
Rigid A7S, 57 A10 in pieces
Australia

Offline madsens

• A's Good Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: 07.11. 2013 22:47 »
Hi Otto

Will you tell who did your rebuild?
I just picked up my A-10 motor after a total rebuild - just about everything has been reconditioned, as the engine was completely worn out, crank, cams, camfolllowers, bushes, bearings, new SRM oilpump, in short the total job - done by Danish company Iversens Cylinderservice - price, well not exactly cheap, but i guess you get what you pay fore, I hope so... in good old english punds appr.  £ 2700  *countdown*

Started out as a blown topgasket, but the more I disassembled the more bad news I found *problem*...

So I went for the total rebuld of engine..

regards Joergen
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark

Offline Briz

• A's Good Friend
  • West Norfolk UK
    • Custom cycle developments
« Reply #4 on: 07.11. 2013 22:58 »
Yeah; I'm intrigued too as to what a malfunctioning crank shock absorber could do to damage all the engine bearings?

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 08.11. 2013 10:07 »
Yes, I didn't think the shock absorber was that important as they don't have one on the A65.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 08.11. 2013 10:31 »
Yep, I beg to differ. Raced the A7SS for years with no cush at all. The barrels lifted a few times (the rocker box hitting the underside of the tank told me) and a couple of cranks said that's enough but it wasn't from bearing failure. *bash*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 08.11. 2013 10:41 »
perhaps the word "shock" if replaced by "Torque" might explain it, you would probably not think slipping a six foot length of pipe onto the drive side spline on the crank and then wellieing the end of it a good idea, much the same happens when changing up or down gear in an exciting manner but the torque is absorbed by the spring via the cam,  over time it will take it's toll I suppose.
the above is to be taken as a suggestion only, myself only having a Meccano degree  in engineering *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 08.11. 2013 22:54 »
Fido,
           The A65 does have a shock absorber. It is the set of rubber vanes built into the clutch centre.

Trev.

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #9 on: 24.01. 2014 15:34 »
Well, it was the probable explanation given by my guardian angel in things BSA. The engine was well and truly shot, but might not have been done correctly when I had it rebuilt in 2002. about 11.000 miles ago. This is premature wear I would reckon. Maybe the engine was just bad, even when I set off for the Norwegian rally (re my video). Yes Jørgen, it was done by Iversen in Horsens, and I hope for both of us that they know their business. I got off a bit cheaper than you though  ;) They came highly recommended, so I look forward to spring and lots of happy trouble free miles! Maybe we should meet up and do a ride?

Otto in Denmark
Otto in Denmark

Offline madsens

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 25.01. 2014 14:25 »
Hi Otto

Certainly we should!

I'm have a little trouble getting my carb tuned in - ok start and idle, but no power above appr. 50-60 km/h, it sort of hesitates and when I roll of the speed a bit its fine again... I don't know if the rebuild of engine would do anything to carb adjustment?

But I'll get there, and will see you on the road!

regard
Joergen
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #11 on: 25.01. 2014 16:56 »
Hi Jørgen

I don't suppose a rebuilt engine would make the carb go out of tune. I take it you have the automatic ignition timing? Are you sure about your ignition timing and the correct functioning of the automatic timing? The Amal tune-up manual is available on the web several places, this is a vey usable document.
Otto in Denmark

Offline madsens

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 25.01. 2014 18:03 »
Hi Otte

I'm at sea at the moment, coming home on 28th. I am a bit suspicius about the ATD, so will look into this when home, and check for leaks between manifold and carb, but according to DK weather report there is no reason to hurry (COLD)  *lol*
Out here on the North Sea "just" windy...

rgds Joergen
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark