Author Topic: Powder coating and wet painting mix!  (Read 957 times)

Offline 900triple

• A's Good Friend
Powder coating and wet painting mix!
« on: 04.11. 2013 18:25 »
I've just got my duplex frame back from the frame straightener who is also a well respected wet paint sprayer. The frame's been blasted and still needs some work done to it in order to make it complete and ready for finishing. The painter advised me that having the frame powder coated first and then lightly buffed down with 320 grade is the way to go. This would show up any imperfections and allow filling etc before finish painting over the powder coat with a coat of wet paint.

I've not heard of this technique before - I'm wondering if anyone else uses this method and if so is there likely to be any issues/reactions between the powder coat and wet paint???

Cheers, Alan

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Powder coating and wet painting mix!
« Reply #1 on: 04.11. 2013 19:37 »
any issues/reactions between the powder coat and wet paint???

It seems to take paint ok although there are a variety of paints around these days - Acrylic, cellulose, enamels and then new stuff is water based, I only used Cellulose on a bit of the frame where the powder coat had met with it's nemesis -Gasket remover, other than that stuff I would think your painter would be correct
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 05.11. 2013 18:41 »
Yup, had this done to a frame - powder coated then two packed - nice finish. In my opinion, the only problem being is if the bike is used regularly it's difficult to maintain the nice shiny painted surface i.e you see the scratches down to the matt flatted powder coat and if you use bunjees to hold tents / luggage etc. this adds to the wear on the painted surface. I think the glossy powder coat surface may be a little more 'durable' for a regularly used machine. If it's done for show purposes then it's less of a problem, but really they need to be ridden! Just a thought for you.
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline Briz

• A's Good Friend
  • West Norfolk UK
    • Custom cycle developments
« Reply #3 on: 05.11. 2013 19:37 »
Powdercoating is indeed an excellent base for paint - provided its done properly. All thats needed is to scuff the coating with scotchbrite or similar, and 2K paint sticks to it as well as it does to anything.
Having said that, a good painter should be able to find any imperfections by himself!