Author Topic: Photobucket Rant  (Read 644 times)

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Photobucket Rant
« on: 01.12. 2013 08:08 »
I have been using Photobucket for some years now, as a lot of forum sites only allow photos hosted elsewhere. When I joined there was less interest in password security and the email address I had then has changed about four times in the intervening years. I have never given this any thought until recently, when I was having trouble logging in. I could not log in on the desktop computer because it was telling me my password is too short. It is a 5 digit, numerical one, which was acceptable when I registered but no longer allowed. I dare say they sent me an email at some point, asking me to upgrade my password security but it would have gone to the old, defunct Freeserve email address.
I managed to log in using my laptop so I tried to change my password there. It would not allow this, as you have to re-enter the old password, which again got flagged up as being too short. I tried to change the email address but again I got an error message. I applied to Photobucket Support for help and had to fill in a form describing a couple of my photos, give my date of birth etc. The problem with the date of birth is it seems to be on a default date, as it gives it as January 1st 1986. I entered my genuine date of birth in the form so I suppose that flagged me as an imposter. It was probably optional to fill in your date of birth when I first joined and I evidently didn't bother. Basically the support people are accusing me of trying to hack into another users account. The latest thing I tried was uploading an image of a message to the Photobucket team, asking them to let me change from the old to the new email address. That was a few days ago and I've not heard anything. I suspect a lot of older Photobucket accounts are affected by these changes, as the support staff mention in one email that they are unusually busy at the moment.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Photobucket Rant
« Reply #1 on: 01.12. 2013 10:28 »
It is a real PITA all this new technology (A7 A10 forum excluded) Changing your email leads to a lot of confusion as well. Your bound to forget to change it somewhere.
I don't store any photos on a server, just upload what I need to post.
Good luck with it.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
« Reply #2 on: 01.12. 2013 11:10 »
Yes, happens all over now, result of the recent large hacking scandals. Just got my yahoo email locked (no big deal, only used for forum registering and a few more places), they refuse my password, and demand an answer to some question, which I answered in 2007 and forgot all about. Now have to brace for the job of trying to recover it somehow.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 04.12. 2013 18:02 »
It is now sorted! I would suggest anyone who uses Photobucket Should check that their personal details are correct, as in my case my email address, date of birth and country were all wrong. The country was listed as Albania! They eventually asked me to send them a recent photo of myself. I did this and it was accepted.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
« Reply #4 on: 04.12. 2013 20:34 »
Congrats, and some good advice given.

Have also had a battle with Google Picasa, sorted after a lot of work. Now still trying to reclaim my yahoo mail, also originally gave details like country: American Samoa, born: 1.1.1900, telephone nr. in Congo, place of birth: Chernobyl... lol, now it comes back to bite me. On the other hand, good that they check things and don't allow anyone access just because of receiving a few complaints and claims. About personal registration details, if not giving out the correct ones (out of privacy concerns), at least make a text file containing everything used for the registration.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"