Author Topic: Brake rod conversion info?  (Read 6443 times)

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
Brake rod conversion info?
« on: 04.12. 2013 15:05 »
I am planning to convert the rear brake to rod operation, inspired by the description of such conversions on this forum. My wife has offered to buy the bits for Xmas (I like to make her gift shopping as easy as possible ;)). So, before I can sit her down and show her how to use her new paypal account I need some help from you guys. So, two questions:

1. Does anyone know exactly the part I should be obtaining for the brake drum end operating arm? I am prepared to mig weld and recut by hand if necessary but would obviously prefer to minimise the work.

2. Has anyone got any detailed dimensions and further information on completing the job?

cheers guys
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Brake rod conversion info?
« Reply #1 on: 04.12. 2013 15:17 »
Deabn a very helpful guy on the forum documented the conversion and when I asked a cou[le of questions ckindly sent me a link which I'll look for now. Another way would be to speak to Brian in Lightning spares has he documented his similar conversion on the BSAOC website and I seem to remember him offering the spares ,in one go ,so to speak from his shop, hope thats of some help regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.12. 2013 15:38 »
Hi All,
On My 61 SR which has the brake cable anchor on with the torque arm and downwards pointing drum lever,
on these models the brake cable length does not alter with wheel movement, as the brake plate rotates when the wheel is adjusted.
This is different to the earlier wheel where the cable anchor is cast onto the brake plate
I reworked the cam lever angle by adding steel wrap arounds to the brake shoes, this brought the arm to work at
as near + - 90 deg to the cable
Then I shortened the cable  inner and outer to get it as near straight as possible
while ensuring the crossover lever was working at its most efficient angle, + & - 90 deg

The brake now works and will even squeal the rear tyre if needed  *smile* *smile*

HTH
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 04.12. 2013 16:04 »
Thanks Bob, very helpful tip. I'll speak to Brian at Lightning Spares.

John, your advice on cables is very  informative and helpful. On my original Super Rocket the rear cable brake is acceptable for now. On my bitsa A10 (same brake arrangment) I bought several rear cables: one too long, another too thick (nylon lined!) and ridiculously spongy. As this bike was a project for trying out new developments I fancied trying out the rod conversion.

I still have some outstanding issues with the project bike such as the clutch and fuel tank ...........
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 04.12. 2013 16:27 »
Nice one John, think I've just given up with mine hence the interest in the conversion. |Mine is spongy like Deans but I'm sure if I could be has accurate as yourself I could improve it but not by much . My front is pretty good so I rely on that plus dropping a couple of gears but undoughtably I better rear would be helpful and poss safer , regards BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 04.12. 2013 20:56 »
A couple of issues ago there was an article in I think CBG about a rod conversion to a swingarm.
I seem to have mislaid the issue though, as I can't find it anymore.
It was an interesting set up with a short rod from the front lever to some kind of linkage, in order to eliminate the movement of the swingarm, and then a longer rod from the link to the brake lever.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 04.12. 2013 23:29 »
Hi All,
Theres an article on an A10 in the October Classic Motorcycle magazine
If you want to see a really Badly *ex* *ex* set up rear brake have a look at it  *eek* *eek*
Just goes to show that bikes are thrown together with little knowledge and flogged off with the "comment"
"they'r all like that sir"
On that particular example it looks as if the brake cam is fitted 180deg out or the brake linings are utterly shot!!!
(for a start!!!)

Thanks for the kind words  *smiley4*
Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 05.12. 2013 07:31 »

This might be of interest:
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=1163.msg29156#msg29156

Didn't realise how big this forum had got until I started looking for this thread!
Iain

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 05.12. 2013 12:59 »

This might be of interest:
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=1163.msg29156#msg29156

Didn't realise how big this forum had got until I started looking for this thread!
Iain

Cheers Ian.
Yes this forum is a mine if information. The search facility seems to work very well as I was able to find all the posts on the rod conversion topic. Still don't know exact brake arm to get tho *sad2*

Online madsens

• A's Good Friend
  • 1962 A10 GF - Fyn, Denmark
« Reply #9 on: 05.12. 2013 17:25 »
HI
ref. the link to Nicks description of his conversion -
when the topic was new, he offered to send a step to step detailed description if anybody was interested - I was, and I got a word document with step by step instructions and even a parts list from him, maybe he will still do this god service ? *???*

I haven't got around to doing it yet but it is still a hot topic on my wishing list - as I have now got the A10 together afte a total engine job.

regards
Joergen
BSA A10GF 1962
Denmark

Offline gavinoz

• A's Good Friend
  • Dogs & Sheep hate smokers worse than Hondas.
« Reply #10 on: 05.12. 2013 19:44 »
I don't know the protocol of this sort of stuff, but he sent me the same word doc. I could Email it to you, if it is ethical. What do you think Admin?
gav
Rigid A7S, 57 A10 in pieces
Australia

Offline NickSR

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 05.12. 2013 22:56 »
Hi Everyone
                 I produced the word document with help from forum members, as far as I am concerned it belongs to the forum so please pass it on, the forum is all about helping each other.

If any one requires a copy please contact me.

Regards
Nick
1962 Super Rocket
1955 BSA C11G
1998 BMW R850R

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 06.12. 2013 09:13 »
Just to update you.

Nick has kindly emailed me his detailed instructions so I feel pretty confident in this being a relatively painless task.
I have spoken to Brian Pollitt (Lightning Spares) who says he does not currently do a kit, but following a very helpful chat is looking out the components for me to do it.

Whilst I was primarily motivated to do this mod by the lack of feel and excessive pedal travel (on one of my A10s) there is probably a more important reason for doing it: cables can break unexpectedly and mostly likely to do so when you are applying most effort, i.e. when you really need it *eek*.
I have not had a rod brake break.

cheers
Dean

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #13 on: 06.12. 2013 19:18 »
I agree Dean, I had one snap going into stop corner at Amaroo Park (race track) at warp speed, took the corner speedway style, returned to the pits and changed underwear.
As mentioned earlier the early A50/65 has a twin rod set up to get the rod onto the inside of the swingarm without a bend.
Cheers.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #14 on: 06.12. 2013 23:46 »
Hi Chaterlea, I have a '61 SR also, with a pathetic rear brake, I've "arched" the shoes to the drum, had softer linings installed and all the other adjustments and ideas that have been posted on this forum and other forums but nothing ever really improves it. I was curious as to what you mean't by this statement,

"I reworked the cam lever angle by adding steel wrap arounds to the brake shoes, this brought the arm to work at
as near + - 90 deg to the cable
Then I shortened the cable  inner and outer to get it as near straight as possible
while ensuring the crossover lever was working at its most efficient angle, + & - 90 deg" ,

I was wondering if you could elaborate on the Steel wraps bit.
thanks
Clive

'54 GF,  '61 SR