Author Topic: clutch drag after new plates  (Read 2027 times)

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
clutch drag after new plates
« on: 08.09. 2013 01:38 »
I changed the clutch friction and steel plates in my '63 RGS, as there was slippage evan with new springs adjusted very tight. New parts came from British Cycle, and these friction plates do not have oil grooves. Plates were soaked in 20/50w oil. I had installed a SRM pressure plate a year ago, and lift was carefully checked. I noticed the 6 steel and 5 friction plates were thicker in the basket than what came out. I have eliminated the clutch slipping problem but now it is dragging now matter what I do with adjustments-I can't get neutral with the engine running. Does it take awhile for new plates to seat so there is no drag or did I overlook something?
Thanks,
Ron

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: clutch drag after new plates
« Reply #1 on: 08.09. 2013 03:03 »
G'day Ron. Did you adjust the springs so that the pressure plate lifts square? It doesn't take much to create drag.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline lillygunny

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 08.09. 2013 04:35 »
Thanks. I will check pressure plate lift more carefully tomorrow. What I was wondering, since I was trying to fix slippage, if new plates are thicker and the 4 springs are too tight. I am not clear they are set right. I never could get the kick start to slip with brake on and in 1st gear with one coil visible. Wish it had a compression release like the GS.
Ron

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 08.09. 2013 05:10 »
With thicker plates you might have to back the springs off a bit.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 22.09. 2013 21:32 »
I have been helping a friend with his Supper Rocket who also has very bad clutch drag.

It is 3 spring Triumph type with a new basket and plates. Pressure plate has been adjusted to lift squarely and it spins cleanly when pulled in without any problems. But with the engine running and in gear with the clutch in the bike still pulls forward and selecting gears on the run, particularly neutral, is very difficult.

Gearbox selector plate has been set correctly and all gears can be selected manually without ant problems, but with the engine running it just drags.

On stripping the clutch apart the 'corks' a totally dry.

Any further suggestions as to what might be the problem or areas that can be checked would be appreciated?

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 23.09. 2013 12:02 »
When I adjust my clutch (4 spring), I screw the adjusting nuts in until the clutch starts to "catch" when the kick is pushed down. I then give them one turn extra, then adjust parallel, and that's it. This usually leaves about 2-3 windings of the springs visible. Works fine for me. Never had any issue with it.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 23.09. 2013 15:57 »
Hi Ron,
Could you post a pic of the clutch friction plates? There are some about which behave like yours no matter what you do *sad2*
Make sure there are no distorted plates or notches worn in the clutch basket/centre

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #7 on: 02.01. 2014 19:43 »
I changed the clutch friction and steel plates in my '63 RGS, as there was slippage evan with new springs adjusted very tight. New parts came from British Cycle, and these friction plates do not have oil grooves. Plates were soaked in 20/50w oil. I had installed a SRM pressure plate a year ago, and lift was carefully checked. I noticed the 6 steel and 5 friction plates were thicker in the basket than what came out. I have eliminated the clutch slipping problem but now it is dragging now matter what I do with adjustments-I can't get neutral with the engine running. Does it take awhile for new plates to seat so there is no drag or did I overlook something?
Thanks,
Ron

When you say the plates were soaked in oil, do you mean the old ones or the new ones? Clutch plates are supposed to run dry.
With the clutch lever engaged and the primary cover off you should be able to rotate the clutch center by hand (put the bike in gear and spin the back wheel, or in neutral just turn the clutch centre) without noticeable drag.
If my plates have got oily I usually wash them dry.
Clutches don't bed in, they typically just get worse, pull that cover off and tinker  ;)
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand